Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Series IIA brake Pipe Length Left Front

Default Series IIA brake Pipe Length Left Front

Does anyone know the correct genuine land rover factory original length of a :

Series IIA "left hand drive single system" left hand front metal brake line that runs from junction box then under the bell housing to left hand front flex hose.

Anyone have a "link" to the correct genuine land rover factory original metal brake line lengths?

Really appreciate it.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I don't know if you'll find "one way" to mount these. There's a bit of variability with installed components. Basically, some people route them slightly differently, and some optional equipment might mean you have to go around something on one car, and straight thru on another. Also, Land Rover seems to have been kind of loosy-goosy about stuff like this. Whereas an American/German/Japanese motor company would lock it down and just have standardized, prebent runs of pipe. Some things like this were just left to the factory line to customize. It's dumb in hindsight. But that's what they did. So, long story short...you might not get a satisfactory answer. Car historians correct me here, but I'm probably right.

I'll tell you what I did when I re-plumbed my entire system and it worked great!
    1) Go to an Art store (Michael's, Blick or even Amazon) and get "Aluminum Sculpture Armature Wire". This stuff is easy to bend by hand, non-toxic, and doesn't stress fatigue or harden...you can bend it forever without breaking.
    2) Get some electrical tape. You'll use it to mark off length.
    3) Straighten out about 7 feet of the stuff by hand.
    4) Put it next to a tape measure. Mark off every 6 inches, and wrap electrical tape around each mark.
    5) Now you have a perfect template maker!
    6) Route your template line in the car, making all the bends you need to with your hands.
    7) Carefully pull out the template. It should be strong enough to hold its shape, but be nice to it so you can use it to copy the bends without introducing new bends taking it out.
    8) Count your "stripes" to get the final measurement. I marked it every 0.5 foot because you'll inevitably land at some fraction and 1 foot is a lot of space in which a final bend might happen. It's hard to measure a squiggly, long line...so just counting stripes is easier and leaving you with no more than 6" to hand measure ensures its easy to measure that last bit. You can even use a sharpie pen to mark where the end is on your template...and bring it back to the bench to measure that last 6" between your last stripes and your sharpie pen mark.

If you're 1" too long, you can bend the final pipes a bit to take up the slack. Six inches too long, and you get ugly loops and pointless bends. Most pre-cut lines fall into this category. There's no way they can know, so they cut them a little long for you to have some wiggle room. Custom lines will always be a better fit, especially with the template method. Some people use lead solder wire, or garden wire. But I don't like handling toxic lead, and garden wire is brittle, snaps off. I don't want some needle of snapped wire poking me in the eye, thank you!

Also, once you've flaired and bent your custom line and installed it, you can Straighten out your template and repeat for the next line. Heck, save that Aluminum template...you can use it for brake li es, wiring, clutch lines, fuel lines...any tricky length that squiggles and winds an unknown length.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    ...┌───────┬──,,
    ...|______OD__|__\\_____
    ...d ..__ .........° |°... | ..__....p
    »»└/ | \────┴──┴/ | \─┘≡
    ..../..@........................@

1973 Series 3, 109

Maybe someone who thinks their left hand front metal brake line is original could spend ten minutes measuring it and being the hero of the rovers north forum for this post.

Would really appreciate it.

The number (length) is meaningless without knowing the exact routing:

* Are you routing on top of the frame, or along the side of the frame?

* Are you wrapping under the frame(between the bump stop) or over the frame and under the wing/fender at the flexible line?

These things matter. Different lengths...

Our hosts sell a nice stainless steel brake line kit. Call them and ask for a measurement for that line...if you must get a number.

Good luck.
    ...┌───────┬──,,
    ...|______OD__|__\\_____
    »»└/ | \────┴──┴/ | \─┘≡

1973 Series 3, 109

I don't think you understand this simple question vlad_d and definitely don't have the knowledge to be responding to this question. Series IIA "left-hand drive single system" left-hand front metal brake line was only routed one way by the factory. I'm not asking about a series 3 or making my own pipe. your answers are just stopping the correct answer from getting through. Good luck First gear vlad_d

the question: Does anyone know the correct genuine land rover factory original length of a :
    Series IIA "left-hand drive single system" left-hand front metal brake line that runs from junction box then under the bell housing to left-hand front flex hose.

Maybe someone who thinks their left-hand front metal brake line is original could spend ten minutes measuring it and being the hero of the rovers north forum for this post.

Would really appreciate it.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	886x433.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	31.8 KB 
ID:	13928

Quote Originally Posted by landroverbrit View Post
    I don't think you understand this simple question vlad_d and definitely don't have the knowledge to be responding to this question... Good luck First gear vlad_d

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	886x433.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	31.8 KB 
ID:	13928
    You're right, buddy. I'll stop getting in the way. I won't try to help anymore. Can someone please help this guy? I'll just be out driving my Rover with brakes that work...
    ...┌───────┬──,,
    ...|______OD__|__\\_____
    »»└/ | \────┴──┴/ | \─┘≡

1973 Series 3, 109

A few weeks ago I purchased Brake Pipe Kit 88 Single System - Imperial Threads for $179. I'm really crunched for time and I'm installing every single part to do with the brakes new: master cylinders / pipes / hoses / shoes / drums, all from my favorite supplier. I started installing the metal brake lines, everything went fine, but when it came to running the Series IIA "left-hand drive single system" left-hand front metal brake line that runs from junction box then under the bell housing to left-hand front flex hose, part number 592549 I could not get it to install the correct way as if it was too short. I called up my favorite sales man at Rovers North a week ago and he was kind enough to go outside and climb under a series IIa and confirm that the pipe runs along the top right side of the chassis under the bulk head down under the bel housing across the back side of the cross member up to the top of the chassis, then along the top of the chassis to the rubber flex hose. I told him I can't get this pipe to reach, he said we've sold over 200 of these pipes which makes me question what could be going wrong here? He's gonna get back to me this week when the guy comes in who knows about land rovers. In the meantime I posted on this forum:
    Does anyone know the correct genuine land rover factory original length of a :
    Series IIA "left-hand drive single system" left-hand front metal brake line that runs from junction box then under the bell housing to left-hand front flex hose.

Maybe someone who thinks their left-hand front metal brake line is original could spend ten minutes measuring it and being the hero of the rovers north forum for this post.

So far 127 people have viewed this post, there must be someone out there who has a single system genuine brake pipe they could measure. To help me and my favorite salesman at Rovers North out. Thanks for taking the time to read this post. Land Rover Brit.

Name:	single system brake pipe kit.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	24.3 KB 
ID:	13929

Name:	pipe.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	61.8 KB 
ID:	13930

Name:	Part Number 592549.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	106.1 KB 
ID:	13933

This is the pipe I am having trouble installing
    Brake Pipe - LH Front Series II-IIA Single System Up To 1969
    Model #: 592549
    Brake Pipe Line assembly. Fits between chassis junction block located below the Right foot well to the Left front flex hose. This pipe routes rearward from junction, crosses along the bell housing cross member then turns forward along the top of the left chassis rail to the left front wheel area.

FITS: Series II-IIA up to 1969 with Single System brakes (one brake pipe activates the entire brake system)

NOTE: 1969 -1974 Dual Power Brake System use RNC433

Any advice on what I am doing wrong here, rover's north has sold over 200 of these pipes. The only advice I've been able to get is that I am installing it wrong, is there some change in the chassis I am unaware of? All the other pipes in the kit fitted down to the millimeter. Is it supposed to go in front of the bell housing cross member? Because it doesn't reach behind the rear of the bell housing cross member. Thanks

Name:	RNC553.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	18.4 KB 
ID:	13934

Owners of RHD vehicles in the UK seem to be having exactly the same problem with that pipe being too short , the supplier is saying his are 74". Owners are suggesting 77" or 78" is needed.
    See https://www.series2club.co.uk/new_fo...html#msg116228

Thank you roverp480
    This is a great start. When I get the measurements of the genuine pipe we'll all know for sure. Really appreciate you finding out about that.

Name:	thank-you-good-sir.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	19.3 KB 
ID:	13935