Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Installing tow bar on Series 3

Default Installing tow bar on Series 3

Just wondering if anyone out there in Series land has any experience with towing a Series behind another vehicle via a tow bar? Tips tricks or lessons learnt? I want to participate in some off road adventures with a not-so-local club, but the 6hr drive in my Series without an overdrive (heck likely even with) would be both exhausting and hard on the vehicle (3 bearing engine). Not to mention limping home could be an issue.

I could float the Series there, but parking my truck and trailer can become an issue (told by members of club).

I came across a photo of a Series 3 with a tow bar on the front bumper and bingo the light went on. Do I simply disconnect the drag link? Will axle lubrication be an issue?

If you tow the Land Rover with an A frame the vehicle will self steer without disconnecting anything , but the steering lock must not be in the locked position ,so you need to leave the key in the unlocked position. Both axles and the manual gearbox will be ok to self lubricate as none have oil pumps that need driving. Not sure as to the legality in US regarding brakes. In UK the brakes must also work as per a trailer.

I was concerned that the steering wheel turn ratio was too high for smooth self steering. I would think there could be some tremendous load on the steering box. Thoughts?

I just read that putting the transfer box in a series LR will lock all 4 wheels. This is a "feature"?? Is this true? I could test but I am lazy

If you have locking/unlocking hubs just unlock them. If you don't have hubs put the xfer in nuetral.

Quote Originally Posted by biffidum View Post
    I just read that putting the transfer box in a series LR will lock all 4 wheels. This is a "feature"?? Is this true? I could test but I am lazy
    unless you have positrac differentials it'll just lock the front and rear drivelines together with one axle on each differential, this is same if you push the yellow button down or if you put it in low range.

45 years ago I designed a towbar that requires no drilling of any part of the Land-Rover. Since then I've towed clear across the country and probably used it 1,000 times without incident. It does not use, or require, the front bumper. It works on any Series I, II, IIa & III leaf-sprung model.

And the front wheels tracked turns without a problem around how tight a turn? Sorry, just trying to get a sense of how this will work. I'm not concerned about my bumper as it is not stock and I am happy to weld/bolt mounts directly onto it.

Sorry, also wondering if you used any supplemental brakes in the vehicle while towing... remote hydraulic or cable operated?