Hydrogen always seems "just 2 years away from being mainstream!" But it never comes...

I was excited by it a few years ago. Read up on it. a d I look into it every now and then.

Basically, it's Hydrogen stored in a gas cylinder at like 8,000psi. People get weird about that much pressure, but the tanks are regulated and crash tested. They run the hydrogen through a catalyst that combines oxygen and releases electricity in the process. So, it's basically an electric car with a pressurized chemical battery.

But, Hydrogen is hard to make...or at least, it takes large amounts of energy to make. So, it's debatable if it's really "green". Most of the Hydrogen for fuel comes from petroleum anyway (as in "Hydro-carbons", anyone?). So, it's kind of hilarious when neo-hippies are superior about their cars "producing nothing but water vapor". Ah-huh? Okay. So, for me, it's a pass for now. It's not a magical environmental bullet, and it doesn't free us from being gouged at the pump for money. Same companies making Hydrogen from oil as making gasoline from oil. Are they going to pass savings onto us? Not likely...

I DID see one gas station in Sunnyvale had a Hydrogen pump. That felt pretty futuristic. But other then that, there's just not anybody moving on the infrastructure, too.

But I'd watch the hell out of a video of someone doing a hydrogen Land Rover. Why not?