Thread: I want your input/checklist before a 1st drive after a long overhaul

Default I want your input/checklist before a 1st drive after a long overhaul

After 4 years of working on and off on my Series IIa, I’m finally to a point of driving it. I bought it in 2003 while living in CO. I stripped it down, painted it and was about to start assembly when I was to be transfered to the middle east. The truck sat at my parent’s farm until they both passed in 2018. My dad and I always thought we would work on it but life got in the way. Once he was gone, this was how I wanted to work through the grief.

I’ve taken the frame and bulkhead down to metal, repaired the rusted areas, the frame was good the bulkhead needed footwells and door posts. I rebuilt the motor, used all new wiring, all new brake system and new clutch and hydraulics. I’ve run in the engine then retightened the heads, fixed the leaks I found.

I’m nervous about just hoping in a driving down the road, I live in an area with only steep hills so I have a plan to gain confidence in the truck.

I’ll run it with all the wheels off the ground, shifting gears and testing the brakes. Then doing small tight turns in my flat back yard. I’ll spend the evening rechecking connections, nuts, bolts and etc. Even then I'll only drive around my neighborhood this summer.

Does anyone have items they would double check before hitting public roads? I’ll take all the advice I can get.

BC

Hey Brooks,

If you want to call me I have a few ideas. 360.866.2254 Dare

Can do, keep an eye out for an Atlanta number (404)

Hey @charles. You should edit that message and remove your phone number. Don't want to put your number on the internet like that...could get you scammed in some way. Better to private message @Brooks...

@Brooks: I had/have the same feelings about my Series after full brake overhaul and steering/hubs, driveshafts, etc. At some point, you worry if you tightened all the bolts up right!! I'd say double-check for brake leaks at all the connections after a lap around the neighborhood at 15mph. Check the Trans brake, too. If you can stop, you're safe. Worst that can happen is you break down (engine trouble, etc). And that's annoying, but not unsafe. You just pull over(assuming those mountain roads have shoulders).

I just recently did a drive up in the hills for the first time after all the work. My wife was like, "You want to take the Land Rover?!"

I said, yeah! I fixed everything...that car should be like brand new when it came off the line in 1973. It's as safe as it ever was! So, after all my checks, it was me that needed to do it...like you said, "to gain confidence". I totally know where you're coming from. Be safe. Check your work. And have a plan(brakes and AAA towing ) and then you're off! Old cars are fun, aren't they?

Touching story about the family connection. It will be great out there driving the Rover. Good luck and enjoy it.
    ...┌───────┬──,,
    ...|______OD__|__\\_____
    ...d ..__ .........° |°... | ..__....p
    »»└/ | \────┴──┴/ | \─┘≡
    ..../..@........................@

1973 Series 3, 109

Dare,

Thanks for taking to time to speak with me. I ran through the list and found some items that need attention, I call you today to ask you a few questions. I was able to get it off the jack stands and moved it around to wash it and reposition it in the garage. Even though it wasnt far, it was a huge milestone. It moved under it's own power for the first time since I owned it.

BC

Quote Originally Posted by brooks.copeland View Post
    After 4 years of working on and off on my Series IIa, I’m finally to a point of driving it. I bought it in 2003 while living in CO. I stripped it down, painted it and was about to start assembly when I was to be transfered to the middle east. The truck sat at my parent’s farm until they both passed in 2018. My dad and I always thought we would work on it but life got in the way. Once he was gone, this was how I wanted to work through the grief.

I’ve taken the frame and bulkhead down to metal, repaired the rusted areas, the frame was good the bulkhead needed footwells and door posts. I rebuilt the motor, used all new wiring, all new brake system and new clutch and hydraulics. I’ve run in the engine then retightened the heads, fixed the leaks I found.

I’m nervous about just hoping in a driving down the road, I live in an area with only steep hills so I have a plan to gain confidence in the truck.

I’ll run it with all the wheels off the ground, shifting gears and testing the brakes. Then doing small tight turns in my flat back yard. I’ll spend the evening rechecking connections, nuts, bolts and etc. Even then I'll only drive around my neighborhood this summer.

Does anyone have items they would double check before hitting public roads? I’ll take all the advice I can get.

BC
    Take a phone, take extra fluids, gear oil, coolant, brake fluid. Any spares like a fan belt, plugs or ignition parts cannot hurt. Also get AAA towing,

I wouldn't drive it after all that work !!!!
    ensure it coasts with no resistance, that the brakes work ...... you've checked ALL the fluids.
    pto is dis-engaged (if applicable)

Great news! I checked and double checked everything. I looked over all the areas that Charles1943(DARE)suggested. Fired it up and headed out yesterday around lunchtime. The truck performed flawlessly! Huge milestone checked off. Thank you to everyone that offered suggestions and advice.

Brooks

congrats, i'd of liked to watched !!