Thread: Master Cylinder Replacement Santana Series III

Default Master Cylinder Replacement Santana Series III

Just purchased a '77 88 Series III Santana and I'm looking to replace the master cylinder. Prior to purchasing parts I wanted to confirm that Land Rover parts will work in the Santana. Does anyone have experience here? Specifically I'm looking at PLF289 from Rovers North as the replacement cylinder.

Looking forward to learning from everyone here!

Not sure about the 88" but the 109 I know is different from the Solihull Rovers

I'm going to venture a comment here. I just got done with a full upgrade on my S3 109 brakes...converted to dual line w/ Servo/Booster. So, I got a crash course in the system. Here's some comments you'll find useful:

* When talking about brakes, EVERYONE is nervous about giving advice. Your brakes go out, and it could kill you and others on the road. So, people aren't excited to volunteer custom info and risk liability. It's not you, it's us. So take any advice as "entertainment" and not instructions, if you know what I mean.You assume all liability. Get it double-checked by a pro, etc.

* Parts interchange is do-able, but not many folks do it. You find yourself alone. Then you start answering forum posts...but that's another story...

* There are a few things to consider with your project:

1) Servo/Booster or no Servo. Your part number seems to imply no Servo. The Servo kind have a different brake tower, because the Servo is kinda sandwiched between the tower and Brake MC. On that, the Tower has 4 bolt holes to go to the Servo, instead of 2 holes to go into the Brake MC. Also, the Servo will have the arm that connects to the pedal. The connection with the MC is via a diaphragm that pushes a plunger at the front...so the MC won't have a threaded rod sticking out. Yours seems to NOT have a Servo, so that settles that.

2) The (2)holes in your brake tower might match the Solihul ones. Cheap way to find out is to order a $3 gasket and hold it up to your Brake MC:
    https://rimmerbros.com/Item--i-ANR53...kaAgaEEALw_wcB

If it fits, you know it will mount.

3) The fitting on your brake tower. Some brake towers have a forked fitting that fits around a loop you put a pin through. Some have a cylinder with a hole drilled out where the threaded rod on the back of the MC slips into. Look at your brake tower. How does it attach to the MC? That will tell you if it fits.

4) Brake line flare nuts size - the flare fitting on the Brake MC should match the one on your hose. I belive they are British DIM fittings. Of course, this is not a deal breaker...because you can make up a new line with about $10 of brake line and 2 new flare fittings. So worst case you make up a new line.

So there it is:
    * Match up your existing brake tower or buy a new one ($200)
    * Match up your existing flare fitting or make a new line ($10).

If you're upgrading the Brake MC, and worried about interchange fittment...I would just go ahead and get the new brake tower for the Servo, a new Servo, and the MC for the Servo. Then you know they all fit together and you increase your braking power 2-to-1. You might end up spending the whole summer trying to identify those 3 compnents...or just order them all together from the parts catalog #s.

* In the end, it's a simple device that builds up hydraulic pressure. You just have to make sure it's fittings are nicely threaded and not leaking. The back (the part that fits the pedal) just has to push that plunger. It's simpler than it sounds. And those parts have wiggle room and adjustment because of the pedal action.

Good luck!
    ...┌───────┬──,,
    ...|______OD__|__\\_____
    ...d ..__ .........° |°... | ..__....p
    »»└/ | \────┴──┴/ | \─┘≡
    ..../..@........................@

1973 Series 3, 109

I should've been more specific as I was looking to replace the master cylinder for the clutch. It was indeed a different part. The original 's reservoir was separate from the cylinder and mounted above the brake master cylinder. PLF289 did end up fitting. The location makes the new reservoir a little difficult to fill. Other than that no issues.

Ah! Nice! Never mind, then...
    ...┌───────┬──,,
    ...|______OD__|__\\_____
    ...d ..__ .........° |°... | ..__....p
    »»└/ | \────┴──┴/ | \─┘≡
    ..../..@........................@

1973 Series 3, 109

Just a long shot,,, This 77 88 Series III Santana just sold. It had brake and clutch parts in boxes in the back. Is it yours Click image for larger version. 

Name:	santana.jpg 
Views:	181 
Size:	78.5 KB 
ID:	13965

I like the black grill!! I may of been first (seattle area) to black the aluminum pieces around the s3 headlights? (about 1977-1979)
    I think i'll leave my S2 brakes alone after reading all that!!!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	D4CC3297-5B2F-4D7A-8DC3-5B20B3934F07.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	176.9 KB 
ID:	14115

Haha not mine! She’s running great now!