Thread: 1973 series III Clutch Master/Slave

Default 1973 series III Clutch Master/Slave

My clutch master/slave just stopped working, I believe it is the master that gave out as it isn't building pressure. Was thinking of doing a rebuild kit for both. Any thoughts as to what else it could be before I pull them out? Also its DOT4 fluid I should refill the system with, correct?

dot 4 but I've been gravitating toward synthetic these last few years. A couple guys here may correct me but if the slave bypasses I think the system would eventually fill and it'd build pressure to a point but no clutch action. If it bypasses at the master you'll not get pressure anywhere. If it isn't leaking fluid it most certainly is the rubber components and only costs you scraped knuckles mostly unless someone has it re-assembled wrong but you haven't indicated it was 'just overhauled'. ((sounds like it won't be a big issue))

I cracked the bleed valve on the slave cylinder and it was pushing out some fluid. I may try rebuilding the slave and if that doesn't work, start the laborous process of pulling the master. The pedal wasn't getting stiff so I imagine its the master, but I will start with the easier option first.