Thread: Tire pressure?

Default Tire pressure?

Hey Rovers!

I have some Chinese truck tires that came with my Series 3. They look to be relatively new and in decent condition, so I'm not changing them any time soon. But, I noticed a bulge at the bottom, like the tire is under-inflated.

Looking at the sidewall, it says "Max P.S.I. 80lbs".

I pumped 45 psi into them. They still look a bit flat...especially on the downhill side.

What PSI do you folks run?

I'm on asphalt 100% of the time. So, not looking for extra grip.

My daily driver sedan is at 32-36 psi. I feel bad going above 50, but it looks like it wants more.
    ...┌───────┬──,,
    ...|______OD__|__\\_____
    ...d ..__ .........° |°... | ..__....p
    »»└/ | \────┴──┴/ | \─┘≡
    ..../..@........................@

1973 Series 3, 109

I usually start out at 35psi and see how they wear. If they are wearing at the edges, then you need more air. If they are wearing in the center, then you need less air.

There is a method where you drive over chalk and you can see how your tire is touching the road.
    How To Chalk Test Your Tires To Find Ideal Pressure for On-Road Driving - YouTube
    61 II 109" Pickup (Restomod, 350 small block, TR4050)
    66 IIA 88" Station Wagon (sold)
    66 IIA 109" Pickup (Restomod, 5MGE, R380)
    67 IIA 109" NADA Wagon (sold)
    88, 2.5TD 110 RHD non-hicap pickup

-I used to know everything there was to know about Land Rovers; then I joined the RN Bulletin Board.

Your question got me curious so I went out and checked my pressures. Turns out Im underinflated. I have 25 in the front and 27 in the rear. They dont look it though. I will pump them up to 35 all around. Maybe parking lot maneuvering will be easier after that.

29 here on the michelin xrated tires. any more than that and it beats me to death! with the cab on i can run a little more

I run about 30psi on 6.50R x 16 on my SWB, this is with 10 ply rated Michelin Light truck tyres . As a point of interest I was advised by Rover that the standard LR wheels are not designed to take more than about 50 psi

50 psi makes a pretty hard tire!, some of those expedition rigs though pack a lot and like the old jeeps I suppose are generally overloaded by quite a bit.

You likely have an LT (light truck) tire. I don't think it will wear well running below 50psi. I run 50psi on the road and air down to 20psi off road (at least the one time I have). I am running tubeless 16" original LR rims. A small "bulge" is normal for radial tires, but not excessive or the tire will heat up and wear prematurely.