Thread: before I order a new starter... quick question

Default before I order a new starter... quick question

My truck seems to eat starters. Current symptom is that it just "whirrrs". I'm 90% sure that is due to burning it out during some recent engine issues.
    Two question before I order a new one (my truck as a 2.5" petrol so I have to order the https://www.roversnorth.com/parts/pl...etrol_defender model )

1. Is there a chance I can repair it? like could it just be a stuck solenoid or something that I can free up once I unmount it?
    2. Are there any known 3rd party replacements that a local auto parts store might have? I have nothing against proline and am always happy to support our hosts. But I have some time today and tomorrow and if I thought I could find a local option it would be convenient. NB: I live in Montana so we only have national chain stores.

EDIT: ordered a starter, can always return if based on any input on this thread
    Last edited by NickDawson; 08-24-2022 at 01:17 PM.

my "new'' s2 88 had a froze engine but i suspected it was intact. A OEM starter wouldn't turn it so I ordered the gear reduction 'super' starter from R north and it worked fine. I can't say it'll be as good as Land Rovers OEM starter for I am using one that is 49 years old !!!!
    Keep your older one, get the new jazz and you won't of lost much! !

Quote Originally Posted by NickDawson View Post
    My truck seems to eat starters. Current symptom is that it just "whirrrs". I'm 90% sure that is due to burning it out during some recent engine issues.
    Two question before I order a new one (my truck as a 2.5" petrol so I have to order the https://www.roversnorth.com/parts/pl...etrol_defender model )

1. Is there a chance I can repair it? like could it just be a stuck solenoid or something that I can free up once I unmount it?
    2. Are there any known 3rd party replacements that a local auto parts store might have? I have nothing against proline and am always happy to support our hosts. But I have some time today and tomorrow and if I thought I could find a local option it would be convenient. NB: I live in Montana so we only have national chain stores.

EDIT: ordered a starter, can always return if based on any input on this thread
    Part of the regular Rover Starter preventive work is to remove starter and make sure that the Bendix engagement dog is activating properly, typically dirt, moisture and leaking oil from other places will "fowl" the engagement gear and prevent this from properly engaging. A light oil, I like Graphite powder liberally applied to the system around large but weak looking spring will allow for fluid movement when activating starter. There are parts kits from our host for Magnets, and armature fitting, You should be able to take it to a reputable electric motor repair shop and get some assistance as well, cheers.

the graphite powder is a excellent idea cedryck and a perfect application.