Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: locking hubs

Default locking hubs

Yes or no? Advantages and disadvantages. One neat thing is if you have the hubs locked out you have 2 wheel drive low range.

I'm interested in what people who actually have them have to say. What are they really like? Useful?

I can understand the appeal of less mass rotating in the drive train constantly(2WD vs Coninuous 4WD). But I sometimes wonder what problem we're optimizing for?

So, to my reckoning. the early Series have small 2.25L Motors anyway. Advertised as getting like 30mpg. For a 50+ year old car, that's fantastic! For a 4WD truck, that's unreal. How much better does unlocking the front hubs get you? Again, I'd love real world numbers. I'm genuinely curious, too.

Also, is it a pain to get out of the vehicle a d switch? Do people mess with your car? Is there a chance you forget one side on and the other off?
    ...┌───────┬──,,
    ...|______OD__|__\\_____
    ...d ..__ .........° |°... | ..__....p
    »»└/ | \────┴──┴/ | \─┘≡
    ..../..@........................@

1973 Series 3, 109

I've read they will improve both steering and gas mileage. I'm scared to check my mpg as my trips are around town.
    You get out once to lock them when go off road. How inconvenient can that be? Not likely you would forget to lock both but I have seen it happen where the person didnt fully engage the hub and found out when he couldnt get up the road. oops!
    I have a pair and am going to install them when I get a chance. I will give my report on any change after I do.

it certainly will affect the drain on the drive train but you HAVE to remember to engage them from time to time as without that front hub rotating you will NOT get lubricant onto the top railco bushing shortening it's life. (and front end stability eventually)

I have a pair of Mayflower Automotive Products (MAP) hubs on my Series One. It certainly makes the steering slightly lighter and less noise from the front end. Regarding gas mileage , hard to tell as mine is usually used on a least 25- 50 mile runs which heats up the oil so less drag . Would probably show better results on short runs when thicker oil will produce more drag. I did once get stuck turning round in a farm gate & there was a hidden ditch , having only 2 wheel drive made it worse & then still stuck when I engaged the front. I now am more careful to engage then before attempting similar activity . Generally I am positive about them but I know others who will never fit them. Still it is easily reversible if you don't get on with them. I expect to get about 25 mpg on a run ( UK Gallon) 20 mpg US . I average about that when I toured Norway and that was about 2600 miles in total.

Got my Fairey hubs installed. Cant say I notice anything different driving it. Have a set of selectro hubs if anyone wants to buy them.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fairey.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	84.0 KB 
ID:	13969Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fairey2.jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	109.5 KB 
ID:	13970Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rairey3.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	82.1 KB 
ID:	13971

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	selectro.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	72.6 KB 
ID:	13972Click image for larger version. 

Name:	selectro2.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	97.4 KB 
ID:	13973Click image for larger version. 

Name:	selectro3.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	77.7 KB 
ID:	13974

are the selectro british made? I'm not sure i've had any. I'd be interested, shipping is prob $50?

Yes I believe they were an original option. Sounds about right for shipping. What's your best offer?

since it'd be a spare set for me you should probably get them to someone who really needs them but I guess i'd send you $100 to get them in a box and on the truck. I think you might want to hang onto them for a while for a needy individual though?

Yes I will try sell locally to someone.