Thread: Side Steps, Nerf Bars, Rock Sliders - getting in the Series

Default Side Steps, Nerf Bars, Rock Sliders - getting in the Series

Hey Rovers!

As many Series owners can relate, my wife and side-kick in Rover adventures always makes a fuss about getting into the Series truck. She's about 5'4" and has to get a running start, and maybe take 3 tries to get in. Its hilarious to watch, but I noticed hesitation to take the Rover out on field trips because of this. A good friend advised the wife would be more amenable to operating costs of the Land Rover if she would be more comfortable in it. All this to say - some creature comforts are required. So, I'm looking at something to make it easier to step up into the Series.

For the rear, I got a tow hitch from our hosts, and put a removable step in the receiver. It's been a game changer! So easy to step up into the load space now! I'm sold.

But, I don't really like the look of the fold-up steps. I want a stock look. I don't like all the modern rock crawler kit. There's a charm to the 1960's-70's aesthetic. But, for me, the fold up step looks impractical. So, you fold it down when entering? Then what? I always see it folded up/tucked while driving. Then you fold it down when exiting? It just seems like it might be finicky...and I'll skip it. Then, what's the point of having it?

I'm looking at rock sliders. But, they are so high up...I think they aren't really for help getting in, because you still have to lift your foot to nearly the Sill. I guess I want something lower.

Then I looked at running boards, or nerf bars, or even stirrup steps. I have a 109 three door, so it would be a compromise. I don't have back doors or middle seats. So, any bar/step mid way would be useless...but visually balances. Well, maybe it would help getting access to items on the roof rack.

I also don't know where these things mount. Will I have to swiss-cheese drill holes in my frame? I'm 260lbs, so it needs to be strong.

Also, will it drag or catch bushes or things when 4x4ing? I don't do it often, but again, something looks clingy about those steps hanging low.

Anybody who can post some good looking, semi factory looking solution for this? Attach your pics and thoughts. Also links, if you have ones you like. I've got some welding skills, but would love to just bolt on, no mods but that's not off the table if particularly good (Defender 110 parts?)
    ...┌───────┬──,,
    ...|______OD__|__\\_____
    ...d ..__ .........° |°... | ..__....p
    »»└/ | \────┴──┴/ | \─┘≡
    ..../..@........................@

1973 Series 3, 109

i POSTED SOME FEEDBACK 4 U BUT IT CRASHED. IF YOU CALL ME I CAN GIVE YOU MY 2 CENTS WORTH QUICKLY THANKS 368.789.5070

If you have the fold down steps , they will get bent/damaged if you use it off road . I remember having a 109 Station wagon on loan from LR to help lay out a competition course . All the steps got bent up and we ended up hammering them back into shape before handing it back. The One Ten was available with stirrup type steps but I found them very impractical as it was too close to the body and one had to exit backwards to get ones foot in the stirrup. I ended up carrying a small foot stool type step to place by the door for passengers of shorter stature

I'd go with the flexible strap type hang down. The folding steps are great (and expensive) but simply won't last the first brush with close ground.

Nice! Thanks for the tips. I suspected as much.

So, the next question is, how do these mount? Are they just bolt on, through existing holes? Or do you have to drill up your frame?
    ...┌───────┬──,,
    ...|______OD__|__\\_____
    ...d ..__ .........° |°... | ..__....p
    »»└/ | \────┴──┴/ | \─┘≡
    ..../..@........................@

1973 Series 3, 109