Thread: Series III gas mileage?

Default Series III gas mileage?

Hi everyone. With gas prices these days, anyone have any tips on ways to improve gas mileage on a '73 Series III (besides not driving it!)? Thanks!

What is your carburetor? Distributor? Knowing that wil help us help U. Thanks

I've been running a wore out rottenchester for years and recently put a new weber on (compliments of our host) and I'm here to say i'd bet I'm buring nearly HALF the fuel I use to without much difference in performance, but then, my series 3 has about 3/4 million miles on it with one amateur rebuild when it had less than 30K on it .. ........ pretty messed up huh? .......... i haven't measured the mileage but i can drive it to town (15 miles RT) and all around the ranch for maybe 2 weeks with no prob.

standard distributor, points, original stuff. go to town maybe 2-3 x per week.

With a new S3 here in the UK , the best fuel consumption was about 20 mpg (US) general 15 mpg and the worst 2 mpg (off roading) . That was with totally standard vehicle and setting .

You can use Physics to your advantage, run Tall road tires, and increase the PSI about 5-8 PSI, helps a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by cedryck View Post
    You can use Physics to your advantage, run Tall road tires, and increase the PSI about 5-8 PSI, helps a bit.
    right, I put 16" tires on. made a big difference but I run them at 29 or 30 psi. or it rides like a buck board!

1 possibility is that your engine is very tired after 200k+ miles. Have u checked your compressions recently? Some old rover engines actually run pretty well when they're half dead.

My engine is tired (90-110psi per cylinder) and I get about 175km/tank (single regular tank). Pretty bad, but it starts every time and still pulls like a horse. I have an aftermarket Zenith and electronic ignition. I am running on the rich side to keep it cool in the summer months.
    Last edited by biffidum; 07-02-2022 at 11:38 AM.