Thread: voltage stabilizer

Default voltage stabilizer

for the last year my temp guage (series3) has been reading high. I bought a new OEM one but it requires a $30+ bushing to fit. I haven't gotten around to dealing with that.
    The other day while 10 miles up in the woods the landrover quit on me. I managed to run it up a bank and get it turned around without grinding the starter off and coasted a couple miles to where I had to fix it as there was a hill coming i'd never get up with the engine out. after operating the fuel pump by fingers till they wore out and shaking the rig and hearing no gas in the tank I emptied a coffee cup worth of saw gas into the tank and 'viola' ..... blue gas at the carb! ......... the engine immediatly started under compression whereupon I shut it off till needed to get up that hill and managed to coast within 300 yards of a neighbor whos' gas I borrowed.
    My new aftermarket fuel sender arrived (with gasket) as I didn't want to diagnose tank issues with no gasket on hand and I learned my old sender works fine but the voltage going to it flashes off and on regularly so I read the elec schematics and figured the temp guage and gas guage both are faulty because of the voltage stabilizer which Rovers North is sending me now.
    in 49 years I've never had to walk out but this is the sort of thing that happens when you keep driving them without giving them tlc now and then!!!

The Voltage stabiliser is more a regulator to deliver 10 Volts to the instruments. In truth its voltage output isn't very stable as it involves a mechanical bimetallic strip heating & cooling switching the current on & off. They do go out of calibration and one can now get electronic replacements that are very stable .
    There is a good description in this link https://www.minimania.com/Smiths_Voltage_Stabilizers

thx p80. I ordered the one Rovers North sent me the part # for same day i found it gunny bag. I measured the output from that thing and it was about 10.4 but flashed on and off a lot and was intermittant so much I figured it'd never power a instrument. Also, since my temp. guage is also powered from it I figured it was the stabilizer. by your description it sounds like maybe it was working as advertised but we'll find out. I also hooked up the new sender for the gas and tried it in diff. positions outside the tank and it never affected the guage so I'm thinking there is no amps behind the 10vdc or something from the stabilizer. I also grounded and not grounded wire to guage and guage worked.
    i'll keep all posted eventually!

As a point of interest the case of stabiliser must be grounded to work correctly, but I think you are aware of that.

thx again as my new wiring for amber lights, 'super' road lights, clock (from england) and other krap is at best intermittant. ,,, i'm saving the fix for when i get the shop up!!!, meanwhile: the plugs fire and i never walk home !!!, (i may as well be in central africa here!!!)