Thread: points question...series 3 2.25 petrol

Default points question...series 3 2.25 petrol

Curious if these points interchange for my 72 series 3...one with the small nut is what came out of my distributor...found the slide type and corresponding condensor in some spares that came with truck...or do I stick with the one i had. Getting all new ignition parts for my project and parts are listed as new style, late and early.. My cap, rotor i matched to what I had on distributor both being listed as late style but seems like i have early points...just trying to sift through the confusion...new to these rovers. Thx much
    Attached Images Attached Images  

The two sets of points are not interchangeable. The one on the left is for the later type of distributer, the right is for the earlier 25D4 distributer ( Up to about 1975) Both are for Lucas distributers . The early one will have a condenser separately fitted inside the distributer with a wire to that nut on the points and a Lucar push on connector on the outside for the lead from the coil . The later version has a condenser prewired with a blade that clips under the spring blade by the nylon insulator and then terminates with a flying lead to the coil. The top picture is an early 25D4, the bottom one is the later version
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	s-l1600 (1).jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	34.4 KB 
ID:	14030

Name:	32860-erc6986-g-genuine-land-rover-distributor-lucas-series-3.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	12.7 KB 
ID:	14031

Functionally I am not sure there is much difference between the two distributers , although I think the later one cost less to manufacture as it lost the micro adjustment of the timing via the vacuum advance.
    Last edited by roverp480; 07-13-2022 at 08:27 AM.

thx rover p480....i will say that my dist does not have the plastic spade clip for the coil lead on the outside rim of dist. it has a wire that runs through a rubber bung that went from that points nut terminal to the coil...guess im unsure of what i have..who knows if PO had stuff right..but im sparkless and trying to get this points / cond thing figured out..thx for your help

heres a pic.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by redagain View Post
    heres a pic.
    Is it possible to post a picture looking down on the top ( less cap) of the whole distributer/ I personally have not seen that configuration.

here are a few...hope these help. Thx
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4300.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	95.2 KB 
ID:	14033   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4299.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	96.6 KB 
ID:	14034  

though i havent pulled the distributor....research to the best of my knowledge is telling me this is a 45d. any help identifying would be much appreciated so i can purchase the proper points and cond...funny thing is was running with the old style points ...thats the provenance i have....has a rebuilt turner engineering 2.25...was running and driving few years back. Im just trying to get everything ready before it goes off to be professionally rewired....DC wiring is not my forte. Thanks for reading

As you say its a 45 D distributer that someone has managed to fit in a 25D4 set of points. If you get the correct 45d condenser it will come with the correct wire for the correct points , which you have),. I believe its RTC6621 . The joint in the wire , orange to black, will clip on to the spring blade of the correct points, insulated with the small nylon part Click image for larger version. 

Name:	$_1.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	16.8 KB 
ID:	14038

Thx so much roverp...appreciate you verifying that for me...learning more every day...time to wait for the UPS man...pertronix may be in my future. New harness goes in next week

As a matter of interest , I seem to remember that the small vertical fork on the base of correct point set should have a piece of felt lodged in it , greased so it wipes the cam as it rotates.

Name:	IMG_4286 (3).jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	152.0 KB 
ID:	14042