Hey y'all!
I've been pretty fortunate to have a rather stable and reliable III for the past few years. I try never to take the good days for granted 🤣

Recently I've had some problems and could use some thoughts about where to start. Here's the symptoms:

I'll be driving and out of the blue stepping on the gas produces the opposite of the expected effect. The engine starts to stall. If I floor it, it'll rev back up.

If I go into neutral and/or pull over, it is in some kind of rev/stall cycle. Like every 3-5 seconds it'll almost stall and then rev back up.

Having the choke engaged helps a little and can often get me home.

Occasionally, when I do get home, it will "Diesel" and chug for 30 seconds before finally shutting down.

When I go to re-start it, it won't start again for some period of time (I usually give it a day). When it does start again, it runs fine like nothing happened.

It may be reliable again for a week (100 miles) or only a day (5 miles).

I assumed it was a dying fuel pump and ordered one. But now that I've spent some time under the truck with a flash light, I can see that the inline filter (after the pump) is full and remains full. The manual pump also works just fine.

So now I'm at a loss. I can't imagine it is an ignition issue - but maybe? Could it be the carb? This truck has the rare 2.5L petrol and that carb is strange. The one on it is only a few hundred miles old.

The only other consideration is ambient temperature. We're in the hot sunny days of summer here in Montana. But that was true last summer and I didn't have any problems then.

Thanks for sharing any thoughts or tips you may have for troubleshooting!