Thread: Rocker Pedestal Question

Default Rocker Pedestal Question

Hello. For the longest time I wondered where the small freeze plug might go that came in my cylinder head gasket set. The other day I noticed on a cylinder head online that under the center rocker pedestal seems to be a freeze plug that is the one in my gasket set. About 1/2" diameter or so.I need to now check to make sure the old freeze plug is still in place or was it removed my my machine shop?My question is I have already torqued down my cylinder head to the block.Can I loosen the 5 cylinder head bolts to lift the rocker assembly enough to take a look? Is there any concern with warping by undoing only the 5 cylinder head studs that hold down the pedestal?Thanks in advance for help here.Cheers, Tom

OMG , !! UNtorquing the head is a no no, wait till someone with some brains sees this post .......... just take a steady strain and hold !!

Quote Originally Posted by jimrr View Post
    OMG , !! UNtorquing the head is a no no, wait till someone with some brains sees this post .......... just take a steady strain and hold !!
    UPDATE! Crisis averted : ). I should have just taken a peek. The center pedestal does not cover the freeze plug completely. I can see it being present. I kept having visions of my valve cover filling with coolant on initial start...
    Last edited by Poppy1969; 08-03-2022 at 05:57 PM.