Thread: pass through differentials

Default pass through differentials

From time to time we all see the 109 with dual rear axles. few things look more intriguing to me! I'm led to believe both axles are driving axles?
    does anyone know where they come from?

Quote Originally Posted by jimrr View Post
    From time to time we all see the 109 with dual rear axles. few things look more intriguing to me! I'm led to believe both axles are driving axles?
    does anyone know where they come from?
    I know of an 88" with an extended chassis that had a special transfer box with two outputs, each driving an axle . It had two standard rear axles, one at 88" and another behind it.

I can't imagine how one would get the rear driveline over the intermediate axle/differential, perhaps by tilting the differential input upward but i just don't think there is clearance. it has to accomodate the rear axle hanging loose on the straps and the intermediate one maxed under load, fully compressed. I am inclined to think there must be a pass thru differential available somewhere, I'd sure like to have a 109/110 with those rear axles.

The Vehicle I refer was Called Sandtrekker and definitely used a modified transfer box with two outputs. One drive shaft went straight to the front of the two rear axles and a second was a divided shaft with centre bearing on top of the first axle . Hardy Spicer who made the drive shafts, advised that the working angles would be well outside their design limits but did help with making them. I gather it worked well on the expedition. It had manual free wheel hubs on the rear axle to prevent scrub on hard surfaces.
    I was present when the crew gave the Midland Rover Owners Club ,a presentation about it , when they returned.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	13eafd4d2235e9cc9f863442e719358c.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	30.8 KB 
ID:	14120

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!! thx, p480. looking at the photo it is a fair distance from the top of the intermediate diff to the rear one. I wonder how far spicer figured the angle was "out of specification" ? There are other rigs out there and now i think it must be the same sort of arrangement. pa blanchard has some i think for sale. I've yet to get the mirrors for my s3 from them. I don't have any idea what they cost and pa blanchard didn't reply with a us price. i guess i'll google it but so far i never found a order page on their web site but totally doable i'm sure.

they must of made some serious changes inside to do away with the other doors ...... or it was a pickup version which i'm not too familiar with .... (if it had 5 doors or not?

Quote Originally Posted by jimrr View Post
    they must of made some serious changes inside to do away with the other doors ...... or it was a pickup version which i'm not too familiar with .... (if it had 5 doors or not?
    It started life as an 88", so no rear doors to deal with . It is some time ago, but I think they extended the chassis rearwards by about a little less than length of solid hardtop sides and grafted a rear part of another 88" onto the back. You note it has a pair of alpine lights on each side.

Another 6x6 based on Land Rover from Australia . The drive to second rear axle passes over the top of the firstClick image for larger version. 

Name:	Web capture_20-10-2022_13440_www.brightwells.com.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	81.5 KB 
ID:	14133
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Web capture_20-10-2022_133038_.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	45.7 KB 
ID:	14131   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Web capture_20-10-2022_13321_www.brightwells.com.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	64.6 KB 
ID:	14132  

thx 480, I can see how that works now. i'd like to see those axles with one on a curb and the other in a depression. If spicer said they were "way outside their limits" i wonder what it looks like? i know some farm machinery will make a 'bend' further than anyone will expect. evidently it works good otherwise it just wouldn't be done.
    now then!, where do we get those transfer cases??
    then i'll need a 109/110 !!
    Last edited by jimrr; 10-20-2022 at 09:33 AM. Reason: spell error