Thread: 1970 santana 88 new to forum - distributor drive problem?

Default 1970 santana 88 new to forum - distributor drive problem?

Hello all...new to Land Rover, but I have had a few LBC's, so I am familiar with the prince of darkness.

I recently picked up a remuddled 2A that came from Columbia. They did a reasonable job with much of the truck, but in typical low budget fashion, failed to refresh many things.

In an effort to freshen up one of the systems, I pulled the distributor to clean up and possibly replace with an aftermarket.

I used a magnetic grabber to pull the drive shaft and when I did, I saw something else lift up and fall back into the hole.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	95.8 KB 
ID:	14126

Looks like the end of a drive shaft.

Name:	1.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	71.0 KB 
ID:	14128

It has the imprint of the e-clip on it, so I know it was in the hole.

Name:	5.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	69.6 KB 
ID:	14130

Name:	2.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	102.6 KB 
ID:	14127

These two surfaces were riding on each other.

Name:	4.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	56.9 KB 
ID:	14129

I took out the small gear, put the driveshaft in, and the distributor dropped right in and seated well. The rotor does not rotate.

Am I missing something?

I am not familiar with the Santana engine but I would say you also need the small part in the drive gear to raise the coupling to engage with the distributer

I put it back together with the small gear in the bottom; it works (as it did before I started), but this is not correct. It is as if the parts are an mix of years/types.

I put my scope in the hole and it looks as if there are two circlips in the bottom space apart by something.