Thread: installing tub and floor

Default installing tub and floor

My 64 Diesel 88 project (my father's rover) was on hold for over ten years when life became too complicated. We are both a little worse for wear, but it is back on track with the help of a skilled mechanic and new friend. I couldn't be more pleased.

There is still plenty to do, but I have begun reassembling the rover. A very simple question:
    -Is good paint enough of a barrier between steel and aluminum to avoid bi metal oxidation?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	new rover.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	124.4 KB 
ID:	14138Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Old rover.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	165.6 KB 
ID:	14137

i really like that photo of your dad, the rover with tropical roof, wing mirrors, side steps ........
    when possible try to put some new composite gasket material or something between steel/aluminum. ((door hinges a typical example)) ... if the parts do not move against one another good paint sufficient but if you live in the NE or someplace with lots of moisture being extra diligent with paint about the best you can do .......... and wash it in fresh water underneath!! by the time series 3 got to a million units they probably had that stuff pretty well worked out and a set of the original factory manuals would show details and upgrades your S2 may not of gotten?

I would say paint is a good idea between any steel and aluminium as that was the case on production for S2's and indeed S3's . The result of not doing this is clearly seen on the first 90's & 110's when LR moved over to electropainting the bodies in white, with doors, comprising bare steel and aluminium. Where the two touched no paint could get in and the alloy corroded quickly causing blisters to appear on the outside of panels in a very short time. This was solved by redesign , arranging gaps where the paint could get or sealants. .

Great old photo! If you have any more, please share them! Good paint is fine. Biggest thing (for me) is to not use stainless fasteners when putting everything back. Some people swear by them, but I have seen trucks where they were used in wet/salty areas and the aluminum around the fasteners turns to white dust! It's much easier to replace a rusty bolt than to patch/replace an NLA aluminum panel.
    61 II 109" Pickup (Restomod, 350 small block, TR4050)
    66 IIA 88" Station Wagon (sold)
    66 IIA 109" Pickup (Restomod, 5MGE, R380)
    67 IIA 109" NADA Wagon (sold)
    88, 2.5TD 110 RHD non-hicap pickup

-I used to know everything there was to know about Land Rovers; then I joined the RN Bulletin Board.

yea, i really like that photo too. it looks right out of Africa, his hat and all. a real classic