This has been an ongoing saga since I purchased my 1983 S3 88 County diesel. I have replaced everything except the hard lines from the MC and the steel lines to each wheel. I have a good firm pedal when braking....no spongyness or softness. Drove it yesterday and when I got home I checked each wheel to see if they were hot. Found that the rear wheels were good and hot......the fronts were cold, it was as if they were not working.. My conclusion is that the front brakes are not working. I've had the system bled by a shop and the shoe adjustments are as far out as they will go on the rears and in a couple of notches on the front. Since the drums and shoes are new there is still a bit of drag. I have removed the shuttle valve so that it cannot be the problem. I have removed the front drums and watched the new wheel cylinders move as the brake pedal is displaced.....what i don't know is how they respond in actual road braking.....apparently not very well. I don't know what to do next. I have read many forum post and the only input that may be relevant is the bleeding of the MC. I don't know if the shop I took it too knew to do that. They did a bad job with some other repairs so I will not take it back to them. I've checked that the brakes lines from the MC go to the appropriate wheels ( front port to front wheels; rear port to rear wheels - the MC is a 1 1/16 bore) . I don't know how to bleed the MC without having to do the rest of the system.

Does anyone in this forum know what I should do? Or how to check to see if there is air in the front part of the MC preventing full hydraulic pressure to the front wheels.....and then how to fix that. I am really frustrated with this problem.....other issues I have been able to work my way thru them but this is a stumper. Thanks in advance