Thread: Series 2A 2.25L engine on a series 3 transmission

Default Series 2A 2.25L engine on a series 3 transmission

I sourced a series 2A 2.25 engine to replace my worn series 3 2.25. I swapped the "clutch housing" from the series 3 engine to the 2A engine (bolt holes all match up). After it was all said and done, the flywheel seems to interfere with the rear of the engine. I have tried the flywheel from the 2A (look identical) and still no joy.

I'm going to break out the micrometer - but thought I might as well ask if this is a lost cause. I would rather avoid using the old clutch actuator mechanism from the 2A, as I will have to buy a new clutch and pressure plate etc... never thought this would be an issue ... yes should have done some research.

So, essentially I am trying to retain the clutch housing from my series 3 engine on a 2A engine and it does not appear to work. I'm guessing the crankshaft has different specs...

I've been considering a similar swap and never anticipated this. I find it hard to believe the factory would or could of changed the distance between the xmission bell housing and engine so what you find here will be a education to us all and yes, I'd be doing some layout/measuring. just how much distance does it appear to be? inches?

Embarrassing, but good news. Upon closer inspection, my dim-witted brain and dimly lit garage revealed I had a mismatched bolt on the clutch housing (head was sticking up). Swapped it and all is well.