Thread: How exactly do you hand crank start a Rover?

Default How exactly do you hand crank start a Rover?

Okay, this one is just for fun. I don’t really need to do this in the suburbs with my Series 3…but…I got a hand crank tool from our hosts. It’s been great for things like setting TDC on the engine. But I’m curious how to use it to start my truck without the starter.

What’s the actual procedure? Because I tried it and no dice.

* Ignition key position? I assume ACCY…
    * Choke position?
    * Crank handle position?
    * Kick crank? Step on crank handle? Some leverage(recover ropes on it)???

How do you start this thing with the crank. I’m 6’2 and 250lbs of muscle and I can’t seem to start it. Surely this isn’t just a carnival strong man stunt!? They expect regular people to do it, right?

Post your tactics. I’m curious….
    ...┌───────┬──,,
    ...|______OD__|__\\_____
    ...d ..__ .........° |°... | ..__....p
    »»└/ | \────┴──┴/ | \─┘≡
    ..../..@........................@

1973 Series 3, 109

I'm not muscular like U and have cranked my [PETROL!!!] engines 100's of times. BUT U have to have an engine that's VERY-WELL tuned, good carburetion, the RIGHT ignition components,etc., etc. and a good engine that's not supercold, hasn't been runs 'since forever', etc., & it should start right up. Bear in mind, this is an excellent test of how well your engine is tuned....or ISN'T. I've never been bitten by the crank handle like 'they' talk about with the old cars. And if it doesn't start up pretty soon it's probably time to check your compression, tuneup specs, valve lash, etc., etc.

I once tried starting my LR with the crank when stuck in France with a duff starter motor , with no joy. It did start easily with a tow start. When I got home I found the ignition timing was slightly out. Having corrected it I was able to start from cold with a couple of swings. It needs the carburetor to be primed using the lever on the lift pump if left standing. I usually turn it until its on compression with the crank handle pointing down , the sharply pull it up. Do not wrap ones thumb round the handle. This prevents breaking it if the engine kicks back. I have never been able to start a diesel this way ( too much compression) and struggled with a V8 as I couldn't get a good swing as there is compression every quarter turn

I've done it a few times, giving a handle a sharp and sudden turn in the pulling direction. Don't push it or a backfire might hurt you, or so I've been told. I've got a winch on the Landy now, with the fairlead right above the starter handle hole in the bumper. That means I only have half a turn before the handle hits the fairlead. Not sure if I could do it now.

Quote Originally Posted by vlad_d View Post
    Okay, this one is just for fun. I don’t really need to do this in the suburbs with my Series 3…but…I got a hand crank tool from our hosts. It’s been great for things like setting TDC on the engine. But I’m curious how to use it to start my truck without the starter.

What’s the actual procedure? Because I tried it and no dice.

* Ignition key position? I assume ACCY…
    * Choke position?
    * Crank handle position?
    * Kick crank? Step on crank handle? Some leverage(recover ropes on it)???

How do you start this thing with the crank. I’m 6’2 and 250lbs of muscle and I can’t seem to start it. Surely this isn’t just a carnival strong man stunt!? They expect regular people to do it, right?

Post your tactics. I’m curious….
    I have done this, only for display purposes though, I prefer to push the button, much easier, but will share my experiences. Yes a good and recent tune up is essential for it to start with crank. Procedure is as follows, ignition on, (gear shift obviously NOT in gear), insert crank into dog, find pressure, pull like a donkey.

key in 'run'. half choke it, pump the gas once or twice and crank, it'll start.
    ALWAYS keep your arm bent, do not crank in a manner that allows your elbow to lock.
    DO NOT curl your thumb inside your hand, ((with thumb against crank metal))
    this advise given freely as i've learned from backfires and such. it can definitely hurt you if not prepared/anticipating.
    these engines start well but better if it's warm of course.

“…pull like a donkey.” hahahah, I love that!

Very good advice all around. I think I just found out my Rover is not as tuned as it could be. Thanks for the tips, guys!
    ...┌───────┬──,,
    ...|______OD__|__\\_____
    ...d ..__ .........° |°... | ..__....p
    »»└/ | \────┴──┴/ | \─┘≡
    ..../..@........................@

1973 Series 3, 109

I don't know what cranking a 6 cyl. would be like but it'd probably start nearly as easy if tuned well. We used to have a old WW2 Army Half Track here and the big 6 cyl. Hercules in it had provision for a starter crank which I couldn't imagine working but on questioning my dad about it he said "there's always some stevedore around that can do that"! He was referring of course of his time in the Army during WW2.

In my experience hand crank starting was always easier on a cold engine. After it is warmed to temp it tends to succumb to vapor lock and starting is much harder.