Thread: Fuel filter housing, mounting.

Default Fuel filter housing, mounting.

Can anyone tell me how the SIII diesel filter housing mounts to the firewall?

Sounds like an odd question but mine is loose, the bolts seem tight and there doesn't appear to be any rust issues.
    So I'm wondering if the housing bolts are secured with nuts? if so, best way to access them?
    Or, are the bolts secured in threaded bosses?

TIA

Quote Originally Posted by IppoJ View Post
    Can anyone tell me how the SIII diesel filter housing mounts to the firewall?

Sounds like an odd question but mine is loose, the bolts seem tight and there doesn't appear to be any rust issues.
    So I'm wondering if the housing bolts are secured with nuts? if so, best way to access them?
    Or, are the bolts secured in threaded bosses?

TIA
    I am certain the bolts screw into thread inserts (Rover Part 79103 Nutsert 5/16 UNF ) which compress and expand with a tool to grip the panel . I had them loose on my S3, The trouble is that once loose it is difficult to get the bolts undone as the inserts just turn in the panel & you cannot get behind to hold them . I got mine undone by driving a screwdriver as a wedge between the housing and the panel to jam the insert in the hole and carefully undo the bolt. I then reinforced the area with a plate pop riveted to the panel with new inserts in it ,
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	10264_1.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	6.8 KB 
ID:	14200Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20230106_091332 (2).jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	44.1 KB 
ID:	14201

ah, perfect. Thank you, I'll check that.
    I bought a blind nut kit just for instances like this.

p480's picture looks a lot like mine on the series 3 gas, it took years before I found a new element for it (from RN)!,
    mine is oem and still tight.

Quote Originally Posted by jimrr View Post
    p480's picture looks a lot like mine on the series 3 gas, it took years before I found a new element for it (from RN)!,
    mine is oem and still tight.
    Originally it was a CAV 296 filter , now Delphi took over Lucas CAV its HDF296 . If you search this number , should be be available . I would recommend this filter as it has the largest filter area compared with some pleated ones . I worked for Rover and I know we had warranty issues when owners used cheaper ones having them block up more frequently.

mine says " AC D 60 " on top and is probably smaller. I'm pretty sure RN had the right size 'recently' but i ran that for decades with no change despite looking everywhere!