Thread: New fuel tank!

Default New fuel tank!

I'm getting ready to install a brand spankin' new fuel tank on the 88.

Should I paint it or just install as-is? I was also considering lining it with the POR-15 tank liner.

Does it not already come painted? Most of the new ones I’ve seen for sale look to be painted black. With regards to the POR-15, now would be the time to do that if you think you may want to, because alot of the work with that process involves the prep of getting the tank clean. You may be okay though if you just try to keep the tank topped up to avoid room for condensation. Just my thoughts…

Yes it is already painted black but I was wondering if it was a durable paint job or more cosmetic.

To follow up on this, I started to change the tank out yesterday. Had about 4 gallons in the tank, broke a wrench trying to remove the drain bung. Name:  IMG_2820.jpg
Views: 157
Size:  28.9 KB
    So, decided to drop it as-is. Easy, came out without any issues.
    I carefully started transferring the old diesel to a bucket but saw a puddle magically form on my garage floor. There was an invisible crack in the bucket.
    So, fortunate I could get the bung out or I'd have 4 gallons on my garage floor instead of a couple pints.

just waiting on the foam gasket from our host and then I'll button it up.