Thread: Series 2 rear axle question

Default Series 2 rear axle question

Rebuilding the rear drive train and the right rear axle is worn. Looking on-line everyone has axles for Series 2a and 3 but nothing for the series 2. Others have the same axle listed for all Series model 88.
    So... my question in what are the differences in 10 spline axles?

Thanks

Steve
    68 Series IIa 88
    2004 Disco

Quote Originally Posted by spf720 View Post
    Rebuilding the rear drive train and the right rear axle is worn. Looking on-line everyone has axles for Series 2a and 3 but nothing for the series 2. Others have the same axle listed for all Series model 88.
    So... my question in what are the differences in 10 spline axles?
    It depends one how detailed your rebuilding gets. My early 2/2A parts list shows the axle casings didnt change from series 2 to 2A , although differentials had detail changes at Series 2A with suffix B Axles, in general terms whole differential's are interchangeable but many individual parts are not. There were a number of changes made to the drive shafts ( Diff. to wheel) , mainly to increase strength but as far as the 10 spline versions go, I believe the later stronger ones could replace the original earlier ones .
    Rear Hubs again had detail changes over the years but all the main parts such a bearings & seals didnt change between S2 & 2A . Drive flanges changed a couple of times, small oil filler was deleted and then the castellated shape changed to circular but are interchangeable
    This all depends on how original your vehicle is and if changes have been made sometime since being built.