Thread: backing plate question 68 Series 2

Default backing plate question 68 Series 2

I am changing out the springs on my 68 and decided to redo the rear hubs and brakes while I am at it. When I took the brakes apart there are 2 brake adjusters on the backing plate. I thought there should be one. I measured the brake drum and it is 10" although the backing plate measures 11". I believe that is correct as the drums need to fit within the backing plate. Question is - did 88 come with 2 adjusters?
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by spf720; 01-30-2023 at 03:09 PM. Reason: add pic
    68 Series IIa 88
    2004 Disco

The only backplate I know of with two adjusters , is an 11" one and they are twin leading shoes type with two wheel cylinders. . I cannot sea any reason for the additional hole, as per the picture as it doesn't seem to match up with any shoe.

I bought the vehicle in Guatemala at a shop that rebuilt them. There were a few small parts that didn’t seem right for the year including the brake adjusters. They were made up of a bolt with a washer welded on so they never really worked. I bought replacement adjusters and am not sure why they had 2 before. The backing plate appears to be correct although I wondered if they could have taken one off a newer series. That seems doubtful as the vehicle is pretty original. Looking at some videos I do see 2 adjusters on some of the series 1 and 2 vehicles.
    68 Series IIa 88
    2004 Disco

Quote Originally Posted by spf720 View Post
    I bought the vehicle in Guatemala at a shop that rebuilt them. There were a few small parts that didn’t seem right for the year including the brake adjusters. They were made up of a bolt with a washer welded on so they never really worked. I bought replacement adjusters and am not sure why they had 2 before. The backing plate appears to be correct although I wondered if they could have taken one off a newer series. That seems doubtful as the vehicle is pretty original. Looking at some videos I do see 2 adjusters on some of the series 1 and 2 vehicles.
    It sounds as though they additions were made by someone who didnt really understand the way the 10" brakes works , . I was in that position back in the late 1960's with my first S1 Land Rover. I put the top pull off spring between the two shoes, like all the brakes I had seen before, rather than hooking the one end on the post and then couldn't understand why I had to pump the pedal 3 or 4 times to get the brakes to come on. This may have been the error in Guatemala. Getting a workshop manual and correct assembly and I was able to correct it. The trailing shoe is as Girling called it "Hydrostatic". It just floats near the drum, its rotation pushing the shoes off , not a big spring . Its very important that the bottom spring between the two shoes and the one inside the hydraulic piston are the correct rate, to just balance out each other

The post is in place for the spring and was being used properly when I took it apart. My confusion is on the second hole for a brake adjuster. Would a backing plate from a 109 fit on an 88? Just thinking they may have used what they had although the drums measure 10" and seem to fit fine on the backing plate that is there.
    I have ordered new shoes and will see how they work with what I have.
    68 Series IIa 88
    2004 Disco

Quote Originally Posted by spf720 View Post
    The post is in place for the spring and was being used properly when I took it apart. My confusion is on the second hole for a brake adjuster. Would a backing plate from a 109 fit on an 88? Just thinking they may have used what they had although the drums measure 10" and seem to fit fine on the backing plate that is there.
    I have ordered new shoes and will see how they work with what I have.
    Although the 11 inch 109 backing plate will fit , the backing plate you have is a 10" one which is correct for the 1968 SWB . It just has this extra hole which I am sure someone has drilled in for some reason.

I haven't worked on this type of brake before (I have an S3 one ton). I think it was made so that it could be used on either side. That is, no dedicated left or right backing plate, just install the adjuster on the side you need to. Aren't both adjusters oriented toward the front of the vehicle? If so, that would make the most sense.

Quote Originally Posted by mearstrae View Post
    I haven't worked on this type of brake before (I have an S3 one ton). I think it was made so that it could be used on either side. That is, no dedicated left or right backing plate, just install the adjuster on the side you need to. Aren't both adjusters oriented toward the front of the vehicle? If so, that would make the most sense.
    The backplates are handed and have different part numbers plus the hole you have is not symmetrical with the one with the adjuster nor does it have a hole to move the pin for the spring to attach. The adjusters are not easily detachable & have to be ground off, although bolt on replacements are available should it get damaged .Which all makes me believe its a modification.