Thread: Transmission oil migrating to transfer case

Default Transmission oil migrating to transfer case

My S IIA is leaking transmission oil and I noticed that the transfer case was overfull and the transmission was low on oil. Today it had used half a quart in 450 mi. I feel the problem is getting worse. What should I do? And is it possible to use much thicker oil in the summer?
    Last edited by Nigel70; 07-09-2023 at 12:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nigel70 View Post
    My S IIA is leaking transmission oil and I noticed that the transfer case was overfull and the transmission was low on oil. Today it had used half a quart in 450 mi. I feel the problem is getting worse. What should I do? And is it possible to use much thicker oil in the summer?
    For a lasting solution, the best way is to replace the oil seal on the main box output shaft to stop it transferring ,. I have never done this with the box in the vehicle, but it may be possible to do it in the vehicle without taking the transfer box off the main box .
    Last edited by roverp480; 07-12-2023 at 10:54 AM. Reason: More accurate comment

If u call i can walk u thru what's required 360.866.2254

Thicker oil will not solve your issue and worse, u may ruin your gearbox!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by charles1943 View Post
    If u call i can walk u thru what's required 360.866.2254
    Why not post it here? I've had the same issue for years, might want to fix it if it's not too big a deal. thanks.

I guess my Ramsey winch is about the only thing that doesn't leak!! one day it'll go into the new shop and all that will come out new again, meanwhile it's pretty forgiving, especially the RF hub that leaks it out in about a month.