Thread: Winch help!

Default Winch help!

Ok, so i went out today to op check my winch before i go out wheeling tomorrow. I hooked up the winch controller, un hooked the line, put it in free spool to let some out, lock it back to power and attempt to power in.

Sparks fly out of the side of the motor and nothing happens. In disbelief i try again. I can hear the solenoid clicking but nothing moves. Its wired correctly, i have used it before but it has sat for a while.

The winch is a Warn 9.5 Ti.

Any ideas before i tear it off and start to tear it apart to see what happened?
    First but gone: 91 3 door Disco "White Rhino"
    77 Series III 88 ex MoD "Shongololo"
    Gone and I miss her: 97 D1 5 speed
    04 DII
    08 D3 (LR3)

Default winch issues

Gunny,
    If you have sparks, you have short!! Well without seeing i cant say 100% but dont be suprised.
    Clean and tighten ALL connections, and make sure a squirrel didnt reverse polarity.
    The 9500i is the integrated solenoid so easier to take it off the plate, put on bench and remove cover and check everything out. Make sure no wires got loose in the solenoid housing. Go on Warn website and see who is the closest Warn authorized repair shop(there are many-i was going to sign up at one point, but got out of the LR repair business--9/11 and call up!!)
    Good luck
    Jack in Bavaria

Sorry, i should have updated this.

I took the motor off, checked it out. it had rust inside, most likely from sitting in my shed for a while. Its really humid here so its not uncommon.

Put it back together after cleaning it and puting a new gasket on.

Hooked it up IAW the manual for testing the motor, jumping the A post with one of the others and giveing the bare one power. It worked.

Hooked it back up and tested it, worked fine.

Tested it again before an outing, nothing again.

Tested the motor, its a bad ground.

Redid the ground.

Works fine now.
    Hopefully.

Thanks for the help!
    First but gone: 91 3 door Disco "White Rhino"
    77 Series III 88 ex MoD "Shongololo"
    Gone and I miss her: 97 D1 5 speed
    04 DII
    08 D3 (LR3)