Thread: Series 3 front end question

Default Series 3 front end question

Was recently doing doing some work on my 88" series...had the front end up on jackstands. was doing something on drivers side not related to the wheels or hubs. I noticed my front drivers wheel turns really hard backwards, forward smooth as silk...and its not brake bind. No issues with bearing either. This is my first LR series...all was good last summer but its been in the garage all winter. Thx

If your S3 has 10" brakes, are you sure its not the trailing shoe dragging, which will often show when wheel revolving backwards and could be exacerbated if there is any rust on the drum. The trailing shoe, rear of the two, does not have a positive spring return and just "floats" in the correct position and that's why it has no adjuster, . The bottom spring between the two shoes and the spring inside the slave cylinder should just about balance out . I would take the drum off , check for rust & make sure the springs are all fitted correctly and the anchor plate on the trailing shoe . Trailing shoe is on the left of this picture and you can see, at rest, the piston on the wheel cylinder is further out than the leading one and would need pushing in again to fit the drum . Name:  SWB_brake_set_up (2).jpg
Views: 202
Size:  97.8 KB
    Last edited by roverp480; 03-14-2023 at 05:05 AM.

yes, p480, I agree. Redagain will probably find you're correct and sometimes that trailing shoe is silent!

Thx, Ill give it a whirl.

Just to add, as shown in the picture I posted, if may be worth putting a chamfer , using a file or abrasive paper, on the leading edge of the linings next to the cylinder . This can help stopping the lining grabbing on the drum surface . NB. Wear dust protection when doing this .