Thread: Front suspension modifications

Default Front suspension modifications

Hi all, long time lurker, first time poster!

I have a 66' 109 that I have built up and have been pretty disappointed with the front end suspension set up. Currently running 2 leaf paras in the front and 3 in the rear. I have read plenty from members posts here and there but am looking for some solid info if anyone can help me out. Seems to me like if I want more flex and a bit more height out of the front it's either I lengthen the front springs, or run military shackles and a wedge to help keep the caster correct? I have seen some members on here who are apparently running military shackles with paras, what is your experience with that setup? I don't want a crazy lift or to go soa or anything, but it would be nice to get an extra inch or 2 of travel. The truck is a hodgepodge of parts and quite the beast (land cruiser axles, vw tdi power) so not afraid to fabricate stuff and not worried about keeping things original, but would like to keep my nice galvy chassis intact at least would like to refrain from extending the front horns if I don't have to but will if that's the best course of action. Looking to see what you all have to say!

Thanks!

I was going to say OEM leafs are hard to beat. find some 16" rims and between those two you can still corner and clear most anything the axles will.
    BUT: you lost me with the Land Cruiser axle so I don't know what I'd do!

Yeah it's a bit of a hodgepodge, but works great. Just looking for a bit more lift without doing anything crazy. Sounds like oem leafs but extending the front and running rear springs on there might be the ticket.

A lot of people have really good things to say about Alcan springs. They will custom make springs for your setup, add height, etc., and they are said to ride great. I had Rocky Mountain parabolics on my old NADA 109 Wagon. I liked them, but decided one day that I wanted more lift, so I put on the military shackles. That accomplished the lift, but bound up the front driveshaft. So you’d need a custom driveshaft if you plan on going that route (probably a double cardan one as well).

This topic came up a while ago on the GNR board and one guy was running 4” longer rear springs (off a chevy stepside I think he said) and 88” rear springs up front. He said it rode amazingly and had great articulation. This modification required moving the rear most spring hangers back 4” and the front hangers (horns) out 2”. He also raised/moved his shock mounts as well I believe.

That’s my plan for my next build.
    61 II 109" Pickup (Restomod, 350 small block, TR4050)
    66 IIA 88" Station Wagon (sold)
    66 IIA 109" Pickup (Restomod, 5MGE, R380)
    67 IIA 109" NADA Wagon (sold)
    88, 2.5TD 110 RHD non-hicap pickup

-I used to know everything there was to know about Land Rovers; then I joined the RN Bulletin Board.