Thread: Advice for adding shoulder belts

Default Advice for adding shoulder belts

My passenger has requested shoulder belts. I don't know if this is a commentary on my driving or that of my neighbors, but I figure it couldn't hurt. But I don't want to do major surgery on my truck. So my question is what is the minimum I need to do. It's a hardtop, 2A, 88". Here are photos of the door pillar, with and without the cover. It doesn't have a rollbar or anything like that.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0467.JPG 
Views:	59 
Size:	110.2 KB 
ID:	14270   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0469.JPG 
Views:	56 
Size:	108.0 KB 
ID:	14271  
    1970 Series IIA
    1964 Series IIA [sold]

The easiest way is to fit the anchorages that were optional on S2/3 . The part numbers were 395586 & 395587 ( Now ADU710110 & ADU710100 - Our hosts list these ) . There are a number of later anchorage plates fitted to later S3 and early 90/Defender that had provision for inertia reel belts . Photo from 2A/3 parts book and them fitted to my S1 SW . Exmore trim also supply their equivalent to 395586/7
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20230411_090449 (2).jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	36.5 KB 
ID:	14272Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20230411_090727.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	61.6 KB 
ID:	14273

So U want to do "the minimum" for your passenger?? Hmmm.....So U don't like them very much, or U took out a HUGE life insurance policy on them??
    We ALWAYS go 4 THE VERY BEST when it comes 2 seat belt anchorages. ALWAYS. There is a certain Co. that offers about a 3" square steel washer that typically fits under the Birmabright panel[SEAT BOX, ETC.] that I would trust to 5 mph.....above which that passenger could B dead meat. I NEVER, EVER fit those parts. That way there's less possibility the judge won't take my entire life's savings when my passenger is incapacitated for life. I've even noted a restoration Co that anchors their seat belts to 1 of the alloy gussets. Fancy website. Garbage workmanship!! A lot of men hang out their shingle; VERY FEW know what they're doing!!!

on your photo 2a, that 2nd bolt down is where i believe my oem shoulder belt hookes to. the one that is at the same elevation as where the belt is hooked on p480's photo.
    where it hooks on the bottom is another matter for even the factory one on my S3 has a indentation in the seat panel that no doubt isn't there on the S2. I've never looked at what it hooks to on the other side of the panels. right or left side, besides, i took them out as it hardly ever goes on the highway and when i take the top off they can't be used anyway.