Thread: Protecting Patina Finish on Orig ‘69 88

Default Protecting Patina Finish on Orig ‘69 88

Have an original Limestone ‘69 series 2a 88, great patina, and trying to figure out the best way to protect. Fenders were painted many years ago, other than that untouched…. Trying to figure out what is the best option to protect what I have and not damage. Don’t want to clear it, maybe wrap it, wax, ceramic, oil? Love her look now, just want to keep her true and lasting. Suggestions?

Preserving patina is a great way to go. Some discussion over on the Land Cruiser forum (MUD) on patina https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/pre...ricks.1097611/
    Lots to read, but this guy has found a DIY system that works for him. Or, some stuff you can buy and apply (easy) - google 'Sweet Patina', for example. With the Aluminium panels on the Series vehicles tho, maybe start in a less conspicuous spot, just to make sure all is good. Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Worthwhile101 View Post
    Have an original Limestone ‘69 series 2a 88, great patina, and trying to figure out the best way to protect. Fenders were painted many years ago, other than that untouched…. Trying to figure out what is the best option to protect what I have and not damage. Don’t want to clear it, maybe wrap it, wax, ceramic, oil? Love her look now, just want to keep her true and lasting. Suggestions?
    @Worthwhile101, I had a 1966 split window bus with 100% OG paint, literally (pic attached). Same as you, I wanted to preserve it as is. I used TR3 Resin Glaze every 1.5 - 2 years... even on surface rust areas (which basically became somewhat shiny, but not obnoxiously so). The bus was garaged, thus protected more often than not from the elements, which surely helped. I applied it by hand (no buffing wheel) and learned not to be too aggressive since that tended to thin the paint further in existing very thin places. Overall, I'd do it the same way if I had to do it over; it looked tidy/polished but not screaming "SHINY". I have a patina'd '71 88" late 2A with OG paint except on fenders and doors, and I'm just leaving the paint alone. The buses patina looking somewhat polished worked well (not radically shiny like ugly [IMHO] clear coat), but the Landy seems fitting to me to have a more flat appearance than polished. It has a slight sheen to it but I don't want to encourage more. It's garaged, so it'll be fine untreated. All personal preference. Some folks I know use Gibbs oil on their old paint cars but it seems to me it is a dust magnet, like Armor All was back in the day on our tyres. Good luck with your project.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0164.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	103.9 KB 
ID:	14275Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9753.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	60.2 KB 
ID:	14276