Thread: Front Apron (valance) for 1964 Series IIa

Default Front Apron (valance) for 1964 Series IIa

First post. Just got series IIa and I’m looking for a front apron. It currently has a winch installed where the apron would normally be. As I understand, there are two styles; flat or rounded. Does anyone know which style would have been used in 1964? I can’t seem to find a definitive answer? Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Acerostone View Post
    First post. Just got series IIa and I’m looking for a front apron. It currently has a winch installed where the apron would normally be. As I understand, there are two styles; flat or rounded. Does anyone know which style would have been used in 1964? I can’t seem to find a definitive answer? Thanks!
    you haven't specified whether it is a capstan or a pto winch, pulls rope or cable on a drum but as far as I know once you elect to install either the 'shroud' goes into storage till you later deal with it.
    my S3 has a koenig pto on it, the 'shroud' is in the basement in some box.
    Land Rovers are meant to look like a tool box on wheels, there is no giving them any "contemporary" look. !!

Quote Originally Posted by jimrr View Post
    you haven't specified whether it is a capstan or a pto winch, pulls rope or cable on a drum but as far as I know once you elect to install either the 'shroud' goes into storage till you later deal with it.
    my S3 has a koenig pto on it, the 'shroud' is in the basement in some box.
    Land Rovers are meant to look like a tool box on wheels, there is no giving them any "contemporary" look. !!
    It's a koenig PTO winch that I want to remove.

The flat panel is typically regarded as a Series 2 (58-61) feature, but some may have carried over into early 2A's (62 or 63).

The rounded panel is what most 2A's had.
    61 II 109" Pickup (Restomod, 350 small block, TR4050)
    66 IIA 88" Station Wagon (sold)
    66 IIA 109" Pickup (Restomod, 5MGE, R380)
    67 IIA 109" NADA Wagon (sold)
    88, 2.5TD 110 RHD non-hicap pickup

-I used to know everything there was to know about Land Rovers; then I joined the RN Bulletin Board.

I have a 64 SIIA 88 with Aeroparts capstan, and it had the rounded apron. I think a previous owner must've customized it by cutting out the center to accommodate the winch. Sorry I don't have a better picture, but if you zoom in you can see what I'm talking about.

Myron

I have just asked the question on The Land Rover Series Two Club forum and late 1963 would seem to be the change point to the one piece curved apron . My S2 parts book is silent on the change point , just refers to both and a note "check before ordering".
    Edit;- Another post suggests the curved panel came in early 1963 with Chassis Suffix B vehicles
    Last edited by roverp480; 04-20-2023 at 02:26 AM.

Thank you to everyone who replied. I ordered the curved apron.