Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Starter Not Engaging '77 Santana 88 Series III

Default Starter Not Engaging '77 Santana 88 Series III

Installed a new starter for my '77 Santana 88 Series III from Rovers North almost a year ago and it had been working quite well. Every now and then the Bendix would not engage and just spin but on a second try it would start up right off. Last night it started right up, however on my return home I went to start it and the bendix would not engage after numerous attempts. Ended up rolling it to start and get home. I removed the starter to see if the bendix was fouled in any way and it was completely clean.

I have no idea what my next step should be.

does it sound like maybe the gear is hitting the flywheel but not engaging the teeth? Though I've never experienced any alignment issues with Landrover it could happen?

Either that or the bendix isn't extending far enough yes. I just am not sure how I can determine which of those it is.

Whether or not it extends far enough you'll have to pull the starter and make some reasonably accurate measurements.
    as for whether or not it it can't engage the teeth I'd put some blueing or similar material on the flywheel where the proposed engaging happens and hit the starter a few times and then dismount the starter and have a look at the blueing and see if it shows signs of the gear hitting it.
    Thus: it measurements and a bench test tell you the gear throws far enough to engage yet there are marks on the flywheel where the gear hits but not engaging the teeth of the flywheel there is a alignment issue.
    I suppose some electrical wizard could tell you if it's possible the teeth could engage yet there isn't enough power to turn the engine for some reason. I'd watch the fan blade and see if it moves any fraction at all but the blueing should tell the tale for the most part.

It may be worth checking that all the starter leads from the battery and the earth lead from battery to frame and from frame to the engine & gearbox are all secure and in good order. I was convinced my starter was toast when it suddenly stopped working and it was just a corroded connection on the main lead. No prior warning at all.

Yea the starter is receiving power, my main issue is I can't visually inspect whether the bendix is extending far enough to fully engage the fly wheel. One thought I had is removing the starter, connecting it to the battery and seeing if when powered if it's extending at all.

Quote Originally Posted by williamdmann View Post
    Yea the starter is receiving power, my main issue is I can't visually inspect whether the bendix is extending far enough to fully engage the fly wheel. One thought I had is removing the starter, connecting it to the battery and seeing if when powered if it's extending at all.
    you can manually operate the bendix to measure it's throw distance by moving the gear tooth on the shaft.

Yep I know it can extend all the way to the flywheel. It's worked without many issues for the past year. What I don't know now is was the throw distance not exactly right causing the faces of the teeth on the fly wheel to get ground away so now the previous throw isn't sufficient or is the bendix just not extending at all now.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image_168171009.jpg 
Views:	139 
Size:	144.8 KB 
ID:	14284Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image_67176449.jpg 
Views:	150 
Size:	63.0 KB 
ID:	14285Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image_67159041.jpg 
Size:	59.8 KB 
ID:	14286Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image_167856385.jpg 
Views:	142 
Size:	136.6 KB 
ID:	14287

Pulled the starter and the flywheel looks pretty mangled. Can the bendix throw be adjusted? The starter I bought was from RN and it's the high torque starter motor for Series II-III model # PLI029.

My follow up question is, did I get a defective starter or am I going to have to try and source a different brand. Or do I replace the ring gear and that should solve my problem.
    Last edited by williamdmann; 05-10-2023 at 12:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by williamdmann View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image_168171009.jpg 
Size:	144.8 KB 
ID:	14284Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image_67176449.jpg 
Views:	150 
Size:	63.0 KB 
ID:	14285Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image_67159041.jpg 
Size:	59.8 KB 
ID:	14286Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image_167856385.jpg 
Views:	142 
Size:	136.6 KB 
ID:	14287

Pulled the starter and the flywheel looks pretty mangled. Can the bendix throw be adjusted? The starter I bought was from RN and it's the high torque starter motor for Series II-III model # PLI029.

My follow up question is, did I get a defective starter or am I going to have to try and source a different brand. Or do I replace the ring gear and that should solve my problem.
    The ring gear shows signs of wear, that is part of the problem, now so is the drive on the starter, the other part of the problem, you should replace or renew the flywheel teeth, and repair or renew the starter gear,