Thread: 1973 Series 3 in PA needs crankshaft?

Default 1973 Series 3 in PA needs crankshaft?

THIS ROVER HAS BEEN SOLD. GOOD LUCK IN THE HUNT, FOLKS!

I have a 1973 Land Rover Series 3 88" in PA, just outside of Harrisburg PA. It is almost good to drive but I am told that it has sprung a crank bearing and needs a new crankshaft. I am not mechanical...and the fellow who has been doing the work on this is on the slow boat. As in he has had it for 7 years! He got the whole engine rebuilt...he is a pro...but it has taken forever, and this new wrinkle may mean many months or even years of delay.

The rover is pretty much intact...hard top, shell has original paint, original seats, upholstery, etc. The frame is OK...had the back part replaced...but for a full restoration that would be a clear move.

The mechanic can confirm the crankshaft thing. He used to have a garage of his own but hit bad times and I have patiently stuck with him. But at this stage, I think we'd all be OK with a buyer who can fiddle with it.

I am attaching some photos. It actually has a galvanized roof rack now with a ladder up the back. Also, some checkerplate over the rear seat belt rivet area. It actually ran and I drove it for a test, but it was loud, and the theory is the crank bearing.

Not sure what it is worth. Open to discussion. Would like to strike a fair and reasonable deal all around.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20121004_141409.jpg 
Views:	149 
Size:	114.2 KB 
ID:	14288   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20121004_142528.jpg 
Views:	159 
Size:	125.4 KB 
ID:	14289  
    Last edited by neofeudal; 05-30-2023 at 10:18 AM. Reason: Rover sold

Are you interested in a swap? I have a 1999 Discovery 1 that is my daily. I am in south jersey.

Hi @neofeudal, I sent a PM the other day but not sure if it reached you. If not, please let me know and I'll re-try. Thanks much.

Got an engine gear box overdrive and transfer case if your interested in nyc shoot me a text 914-513-1446 runs solid no smoke free feels like a sin to dump it