Thread: (did I?) rebuild carburetor, still have some issues

Default (did I?) rebuild carburetor, still have some issues

hey friends,

TL;DR - engine dies without some choke

Also, you might notice I have a 2bl 2.5L carb - the engine in this truck is a 1980'ish 2.5L petrol.

Long time no post. Largely that is because my truck as been running pretty well, and partly it is because I haven't had much time. At the end of last summer, I started having an issue with my III stalling out at idle and then about 1/2 through the acceleration range. In other words, with a little gas it'd run, with a lot of gas it'd run, but idle and the mid range caused a stall.

At the time, the prevailing theory was that perhaps the carb float was stuck or the intake was clogged... maybe something else going on in there. So, naturally, I got in over my head today and finally took off the carb and broke out the rebuild kit that I got from our hosts a while ago.

The good news is, despite having literally no idea what I'm doing, is that I got everything back together and the truck runs!

I also re-timed it with a light (was out of beer).

In fact, I think it is running better than it was before. After letting it warm up for 10 mins, I worked my way though the range of the accelerator and it didn't stall. I haven't taken it for a test drive because I have two flats and my inflator is dead. I'll get a new one this week.

Currently, it only runs with some choke. Perhaps that's because I didn't adjust the cable properly when I reinstalled the carb? Or perhaps it is an indicator something else is going on.

I haven't put the air filter back on - could I just be dumping too much air into the intake?

I'm attaching some pics too in case anyone sees any glaring errors. Basically I replaced whatever parts I could get to and find. And I took the jets out and ensured they were clean and free.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1155.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	147.0 KB 
ID:	14300

Name:	IMG_1153.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	146.9 KB 
ID:	14301

Name:	IMG_1149.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	140.8 KB 
ID:	14302

Name:	IMG_1148.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	125.6 KB 
ID:	14303

Name:	IMG_1151.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	118.1 KB 
ID:	14304

Name:	IMG_1142.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	105.0 KB 
ID:	14305

Name:	IMG_1145.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	94.0 KB 
ID:	14306

Name:	IMG_1141.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	125.9 KB 
ID:	14307

Not familiar with that carb, but it's probably not much different from others. I've worked on similar Webers on Fiats and they were bad about having a clogged idle air jet accessible from above without removing the carb from the engine. You should be able to adjust the idle air/fuel mixture such that pulling out the choke once the engine is warm is not required. If not then perhaps there is a vacuum leak somewhere - like a leaking intake manifold gasket or leaking brake booster - or a clogged idle air jet. Good luck!

thanks Erik - checking for leaks feels like the next move.

Hope you find your air leak. Here's some more info on clogged Weber idle jets: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gtDD8RIGrs

my new weber does this, i currently run it with some choke unless i'm doing 50 but i'm wondering if the spring that actuates the flapper air valve in the top of the radiator needs adjusting for a more worn out engine? if the spring is too weak it allows that thing to open easier and the air won't atomize very well or maybe not suck enough gas out of the float bowl?