Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Engine dies at stop light. Need advice on adjustments

Will check the carb. Thanks. I think the timing pointer is on the flywheel, not the crank pulley. Would I put the timing light on the front plug in any case?

Quote Originally Posted by Robert View Post
    Will check the carb. Thanks. I think the timing pointer is on the flywheel, not the crank pulley. Would I put the timing light on the front plug in any case?
    Yes, timing based on Number One Cylinder

yes

Thanks. Will do that.
    Is the "economy" jet listed in the workshop manual the same as the idle jet?
    I can't remove the economy jet as someone has ruined the slot. I can cut a new slot on the mill and hopefully remove the jet.
    According to the parts book the only jet with the correct number is the main: 120.
    Accelerator pump is 65, should be 50
    Starter jet is 145, should be 130
    Pilot jet is 65, should be 55
    Economy jet should be 100 or 150. I don't know which is correct and don't know what I've got as I can't get it out

Thanks for the help, I really appreciate it.

The pilot jet would be the one likely plugged. If you have a wire set you could simple "poke" it clean. I wouldn't mess with the economy jet at this point. Swap out your fuel filter while you are at it.

Thanks. All the jets are clean, but with the exception of the main, are the wrong number. Would this affect the idle?

Certainly possible. If the pilot was wrong then for sure. Float level can affect everything too.

If this problem happened after it was working fine for a while, you may need to think along a different line. Unless upon reassembly it works well again. Be sure to follow the tuning sequence with the correct RPM (this affects which jet is feeding fuel) before setting an idle.