Thread: tire and axle question

Default tire and axle question

I would like to put 36" or 37" tires on my range rover classic. I have decided it is going to be a truck mostly for the trail. should I put junk yard dana 60's under it, or should I buy a locker and stronger axles? like from rover tracks or great basin rovers.

How are you going to stuff 36" to 37"s under it???? Most people have enough trouble with 35"s. And if you have 10 spline axles forget it.
    1965 SIIa 88",1975 Ex-MOD 109/Ambulance, 1989 RRC, blah, blah, blah...

Land Rover UK Forums

Keith at Rovertracks has his front axle/CV combo on sale this month and his rear axles are the best price out there as well. Lots easier than trying to adapt a Dana axle housing. You will need to regear with that size tire as well. Of course about 5" of lift and a Sawzall will be required to make it all fit and then you will need to correct driveline angles as well. It is not a cheap proposition.

i have a set of series diffs in an extra set of rangie axel housings. would the series pinion gear be too weak? i would put a detroit locker in back and an air locker up front. I already have five inches of lift and I don't mint trimming my wheel wells.

Rover diffs would last about ten feet on 37's. Best way out is a Toyota conversion with used 4:10 or 4:56 factory gears with E-lockers and Keith's axles. If you need a lower ratio, 4:88 and 5:29 are available in the aftermarket. Other than that you'll be swapping different housings. Complete L.C. housings or build a pair of D60s. Both are expensive and complicated compared to the Toyota conversion.

jim