Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Violent shaking on bumps at high speed.

Default Violent shaking on bumps at high speed.

The title says it all. When I'm on the highway and hit a bump sometimes the truck will start to shake violently, and I have to slow down to 40 or so to get it to calm back down again. A buddy of mine has suggested worn tie rod ends? Before I pull the trigger on those, anyone else have any ideas. The steering dampener is new, and the tires show no odd wear.

Chris

PS-This is in a '91 Range Rover Classic Hunter

panhard rod bushings

It is called Death Wobble, you need to check all of your bushings but mainly it is the result of insuficient swivel bearing preload. There are shims under the swivel posts held down by the 2 bolts on top of each swivel ball. They are very thin and removing even a single .050 or .010 shim can solve the problem.

Ditto on Kevin's thoughts. Check all the steering components for slop but most likely it's the swivel pre-load.
    Jason T.

Default Thanks

I will check out the bolts/shims tonight. Thank you guys.

Chris

Default DOne...we'll see

Ok, so I did as instructed and removed the shims...I haven't driven it yet though..the proof will be in the shaking, or lack their of.
    None of the other track bar, tie rods, etc, seemed loose when I tried to shake them, so who knows, hopefully this was it. Is there any evidence when you take the swivel ball bolts out that the shims need to be removed, or do you just noticed the change when they are gone?

Chris

No one said remove ALL of the shims, remove 1 of the thinest ones. Did you measure them with a dial caliper? Time to buy a manual.

Default Ooops

I didn't remove them all, I took two thin ones out of each side, leaving the one thick one on each side...I took it for a drive this evening..seemed ok. What would happen if I had removed too much..what would I notice?

Chris
    Last edited by Dubv1980; 09-27-2007 at 10:43 PM.

Increase wear on the swivel pins, if the problem is gone you are probably OK.

Default same thing with my 93

I have had the same problem with my 93 classic lwb...picking it up tomorrow...I have been told there is something behind the hub that holds fluid and was dry.....will know tomorrow. I am taking your postings in to discuss....thank you.