Thread: Question regarding RR 1998 - Where to post this? HELP

Default Question regarding RR 1998 - Where to post this? HELP

All,

I'm new to this board (not new to this type of forum) and I'm not sure where I should post this. I am working on a 1998 Range Rover doing general maintenance and have a few questions.

1: I replaced all the brakes (pads) and new rotors. never opened the system up, and when I depress the brake pedal the ABS light comes on in the dash... is this ok, or should it not come on?

2: This vehicle had sat for about 6 months and the battery was dead - replaced it with a new battery and let trickle charge for approx 24hrs., then has ran in the vehicle for awhile (few days) but when let sit for a week it is dead again. - This is bad because owner will have this at a second home, - any idea's what could be draining or how to check?

3: concerning the suspension compressor... How should this run? Seems it kicks on/off allot when vehicle is sitting idle

Any help would be much appreciated.
    I'm somewhat of a wrench by hobby, and doing this to help a friend out.

Thanks again.

twisties~South Lake Tahoe tarmac rallye style

Greetings! Welcome to the RN forum. I've moved this post to the proper "Range Rover" forum.
    Cheers, Thompson
    Art & Creative Director, Rovers Magazine
    Rovers North, Inc.

Just checking back in for responses.

Is there other sites where I could/should post these questions? Does this board get much activity?

Thanks in advance.

twisties~South Lake Tahoe tarmac rallye style

Quote Originally Posted by spoke
    Just checking back in for responses.

Is there other sites where I could/should post these questions? Does this board get much activity?

Thanks in advance.
    Yes, this board gets good activity. I've got our lead Tech on the questions right now...

In the meantime... my suggestion for Qs

1. Possibly an out of adjustment ABS sensor.

2. would be to make a "test light lead" and put this between the battery pos + and neg - terminals so that the light turns on. Have a buddy watch the light as you pull fuses. When the light gets brighter, it possibly could be that circuit. At least this gives you a place to start.
    Cheers, Thompson
    Art & Creative Director, Rovers Magazine
    Rovers North, Inc.

Quote Originally Posted by spoke
    All,

I'm new to this board (not new to this type of forum) and I'm not sure where I should post this. I am working on a 1998 Range Rover doing general maintenance and have a few questions.

1: I replaced all the brakes (pads) and new rotors. never opened the system up, and when I depress the brake pedal the ABS light comes on in the dash... is this ok, or should it not come on?

2: This vehicle had sat for about 6 months and the battery was dead - replaced it with a new battery and let trickle charge for approx 24hrs., then has ran in the vehicle for awhile (few days) but when let sit for a week it is dead again. - This is bad because owner will have this at a second home, - any idea's what could be draining or how to check?

3: concerning the suspension compressor... How should this run? Seems it kicks on/off allot when vehicle is sitting idle

Any help would be much appreciated.
    I'm somewhat of a wrench by hobby, and doing this to help a friend out.

Thanks again.
    Greetings,

Here are my thoughts....

1) I agree with TSR53..... You may have an ABS sensor that has pushed
    out from its bushing... try tapping on the sensors (carefully) to push them back into their bushings.

2) Battery drains can be tricky... I would start with the method he suggested (pulling fuses one at a time until you see the test light get
    brighter) Or....another method is with a Volt meter.... Between the Neg post and Ground...pull fuses one at a time till the voltage drops. Then figure out what that fuse controls.

3) Air suspension compressor can be kicking on and off because of an air leak....air bags.....valve block etc....try squirting soapy water on the bags, valve block etc...until you see bubbles from the leak.

Peace,
    Art

OK - Thanks guys.

I'll use my voltmeter today and check that out asap.

As for the ABS sensors. Where are those even located?

OK guys,

I got the code thing handled and the ABS.... (just drove it down the road for a bit - as I had just put the new pads and rotors on)

At any rate I had to go through the whole ordeal with the windows not being set, nor the radio working. (I found the code in the owners manual)

Now I have the dilemna of the battery. - I'll check the battery with the voltmeter tomorrow.

One other question unrelated to my first post................ This thing sure makes allot of noise (loke a gear whine sort of noise) when decelerating.... Is this normal? - Truck is basically a highway only useage and only has 62K miles.

^ - bump.