Thread: 93 front end severe vibration

Default 93 front end severe vibration

Seems like many 93 classics are having similiar problems from postings I am reading....very scary.....driving on freeway around 70MPH...crossing into other lane driving over the reflector bumps on lanes and slowing and turning....horrible vibration in front end starts that I have no control in steering until it just hopefully pulls out at about 40MPH when I have straightened out. Have been told there is an area that holds fluid behind hub that was dry and that is causing it....is this possible...anyone know what this is?

Typically no. Check the panhard rod bushings. New OEM's with bolts are around $16.00. Otherwise check the damper.
    1990 RRC, 3.9L, AUTO "Willow Pond" (Sold)
    1996 D1, 4.0L, AUTO "Lucas"
    1999 RR, 4.0L, AUTO "Belle" (Sold)

The panhard and radius bushings are easy and quick to check so have them inspected first. However, if your mechanic is not familiar with the front end of a Range Rover, the notion of adjusting the swivel bearing preload will not be something that comes quick to his mind. Never the less, with the age and typical mileage of a 14 year old truck, my money is on the swivel preload.
    As far as the steering damper is concerned, it is only there to absorb vibration and can't cause them. In reality, a proper adjusted front end shouldn't need a steering damper at all. Typically, they serve the purpose of hiding deficiencies not causing them.
    paulgrant@mac.com
    203-770-1699