Thread: Death Wobble question...

Default Death Wobble question...

I had the "Death wobble" shake on my 89 Classic, and I read to remove one shim from each of the swivel pins. I did that, and the shaking still occurs. Should I remove another shim from each side, or will that not help? Thanks.

Read through the rangerovers.net site:

http://www.rangerovers.net/rremedies.htm#shakes

Go at it systematically: inspect & replace as required; bushings, tie rods, pitman arm (drop link) pin, steering box lash, swivel pin preload. Removing shims without checking the preload is not the way to do it. Read up on the procedure or get a shop manual, there is a specific procedure to set the swivel preload.

Steering boxes are an issue, leaks common due to worn output shaft bushings. Meridian in California rebuilds the boxes & installs a needle bearing in place of the original bronze bushing. Adjusting the lash is the first step, if it is still loose, the box should be replaced.