Thread: Mystery Knob?

Default Mystery Knob?

Any ideas what this knob is for? It doesn't appear to be attached to anything, it's not the cold start. If I pull it out it's attached to a long spiraled rod.
    1970 Series IIA

Is it the heat adjuster? Open/closes valve for water to the heater matrix?

A "long spiraled rod" is a housing for a push/pull cable. Choke, heater valve control, those are the two that are normally on a Series. Any options on this particular vehicle that aren't "normal"?
    -L

'72 SIII SW 88"
    '60 SII 88" RHD

Im beginning to believe that there are a number of items that "aren't normal" ie: turn signals on the side panels.

Quote Originally Posted by Jared
    Any ideas what this knob is for? It doesn't appear to be attached to anything, it's not the cold start. If I pull it out it's attached to a long spiraled rod.
    1970 Series IIA

I have a 1971 88" with the same control in the same place. That is the heater control knob. It is supposed to be attached to the coolant valve on top of the head. The valve often leaks, and many owners deleted the valve rather than get a new one, since it is wide open all winter anyway. Pulled all the way out is closed (no heat) and all the way in is 'full blast'; although we all know that is quite optimistic...

Looks like the switch for the wipers on mine.
    Tight lines

Hey Jared,

As mentioned in the previous posts, your mystery knob is connected to the heater control cable. This setup appeared on the North American bound late Series IIA vehicles. Here are a couple parts book diagrams showing the related componants in the heating system.

Arthur

Arthur Patsouris
    Sales Manager
    Rovers North Sales Team

Arthur,
    Wow that is really helpful thanks. I was wondering exactly what model I had as I have found some quirky items along the way.
    Which book is that from; it doesnt look like a Haynes Manual?
    jared

Jared,

These diagrams are from a supplimental parts manual that was published for the North American models. Unfortunately, it's been out of print for years. If you need specific info feel free to pm me or give me a call and I'll be glad to help you out.
    Arthur Patsouris
    Sales Manager
    Rovers North Sales Team