Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: oil problem

Default oil problem

i have a 1995 discovery and the oil light came on and the lifters are making noise the oil is not getting into the engine and the regulator was changed, is it the oil pump or the sump?? any help is appreciated.

I doubt that it is the pump itself, but, never say never....

I wouldn't be surprised to see a clogged screen on the bottom of your oil pickup tube inside of the sump. Unfortunately, these engines aren't happy when sludgy.....
    -L

'72 SIII SW 88"
    '60 SII 88" RHD

Default Me too - and I need a solution

Mine's a 1999 Disco I. Soon after I bought it at about 51,000 miles in 2004 the oil light would stay on after starting for perhaps 45 seconds, then extinguish. After several weeks of use, the light would come on with the engine rev'd, and under load, then extinguish at idle. No trouble found at the shop. An oil change cleared this up.

Two years later, and it started acting up again. This time, same symptoms, light off at idle, on when rev'd, and then constant on, and valve noise.

Changed the oil and filter, light off, even when rev'd high, but then shortly after (same day),
    constant oil light on, and more valve noise.

This car did not have regular oil changes.

Suspecting a sludge build up problem, my plan is to attempt to flush out the sump (with kerosene), fill, soak, and drain once or twice, refill with oil, and try again. Next escalation will be to drop the sump and inspect inside, and inspect the oil pickup screen. Next escalation will be to check the oil pressure relief assembly (spring in particular), and then finally tear down to the pump.

Please, any suggestions are sincerely appreciated!

Thanks,

jv

i would say your oil pump spring is weak or the pump is worn, easy fix. replace it .marc
    http://singingcamel.com

Default Questions...

Thanks Marc. I don't know what spring you are referring to, do you mean the over pressure relief spring? Also, do you mean to say the pump replacement is an easy fix? How so?

Thanks,

jv

yes , i've seen the springs become weak and all gummed up.
    replacing the oil pump , 1995 should be a seperate pump, 4.0 l its part of ther front engine cover.
    if your 's is a 3.9 l. buy the pump pull off the old one,replace it.don't forget the gasket and coat the new pump with vaseline to prime the new pump.marc

Default j v check the electrical connection

jv, i would check your conection to the oil pump, it may be loose, seen it before. since your top end isn't making any noise i would not think it's a oil pump problem...marc

Quote Originally Posted by jviss
    Mine's a 1999 Disco I. Soon after I bought it at about 51,000 miles in 2004 the oil light would stay on after starting for perhaps 45 seconds, then extinguish. After several weeks of use, the light would come on with the engine rev'd, and under load, then extinguish at idle. No trouble found at the shop. An oil change cleared this up.

Two years later, and it started acting up again. This time, same symptoms, light off at idle, on when rev'd, and then constant on, and valve noise.

Changed the oil and filter, light off, even when rev'd high, but then shortly after (same day),
    constant oil light on, and more valve noise.

Suspecting a sludge build up problem, my plan is to attempt to flush out the sump (with kerosene), fill, soak, and drain once or twice, refill with oil, and try again. Next escalation will be to drop the sump and inspect inside, and inspect the oil pickup screen. Next escalation will be to check the oil pressure relief assembly (spring in particular), and then finally tear down to the pump.

Please, any suggestions are sincerely appreciated!

Thanks,

jv

Quote Originally Posted by singingcamel
    jv, i would check your conection to the oil pump, it may be loose, seen it before. since your top end isn't making any noise i would not think it's a oil pump problem...marc
    No, there is top end noise, i.e., valve noise I mentioned - it sounded like a collapsed hydraulic lifter - which I'm sure it was.

thanks, it is a 3.9 we just bought it knowing this problems for a good deal and towed it home about 150 miles. valve noise. i think we will change the pump and gasket and seet what happens. it registers on the stick fine but dont have alot of experience with the car yet will find out more tomorrow as we explore. thanks again.

Default May be worse?

So, I'm interested in what happened to SKARVO's car - what was it?

Mine's in the shop, the telephone diagnosis indicates it may be worn main and big end bearings - which means a replacement engine, or a rebuild. Bad news!