X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • chester rides again
    1st Gear
    • Aug 2007

Kodiak MkIII heater switch

My heater switch went south yesterday. Started smoking and then died. TerriAnn's website details the unit as being american made by a company called Cole in the Boston area. It is suppose to function as all the way in, off, 1st position out, low, and full out, high. My unit was reversed as the middle position was high, and the full out position was low. When I removed the unit it is stamped ARK-LES (U.S.A). The company is still in biz, and located in MA. - same company?

The 20A fuse is removed. It was toast, but I'm not sure this occurred during the initial failure, or when I got some sparking when I was sticking a screw driver around the area.

Are there any replacement parts available for this unit? I really want to keep the switch setup as it matches the temp and air flow knobs. TerriAnn indicated that it can be rebuilt, but I really don't want to go that route. It's pretty smelly and I can only imagine the damager inside the little black box.

Jeff
    Last edited by chester rides again; 12-23-2007, 10:41 PM.
    '68 109 3 door with multiple personalities
    '03 Ford Excursion 7.3 diesel
    '07 Porsche Carrera S Cabriolet
  • SHORLAND
    Low Range
    • Dec 2007

Always a good idea to remove the battery cables when playing with anything. Nice looking rig in your avatar. Is that your Rover?

Comment

• chester rides again
      1st Gear
      • Aug 2007

probably would have been a good idea, but my kid enjoyed the sparks

yep, it's mine. full top, p/u top and this spring, i'll put on the soft top.
      '68 109 3 door with multiple personalities
      '03 Ford Excursion 7.3 diesel
      '07 Porsche Carrera S Cabriolet

Comment

• Jim-ME
        Overdrive
        • Oct 2006

Check out Pangolin. Ike may have one.
        Jim

Comment

• TeriAnn
          Overdrive
          • Nov 2006

Originally posted by chester rides again
          My heater switch went south yesterday. Started smoking and then died. TerriAnn's website details the unit as being american made by a company called Cole in the Boston area. It is suppose to function as all the way in, off, 1st position out, low, and full out, high. My unit was reversed as the middle position was high, and the full out position was low. When I removed the unit it is stamped ARK-LES (U.S.A). The company is still in biz, and located in MA. - same company?
          The Kodiaks were a North American dealer installed option made mostly from off the shelf parts. I've seen a couple different switches over the years.

Try a web search for 2 speed heater switches for 1960's American cars. You might find a surce for new switches that bolt in replacements.

Wise Owl might have a used one & who knows what Les might have squirrled away in his Rovers North loft?
          -

Teriann Wakeman_________
          Flagstaff, AZ.

1960 Land Rover Dormobile, owned since 1978

My Land Rover web site

Comment

• I Leak Oil
            Overdrive
            • Nov 2006

If you're unsuccessful in fixing your original switch you can get a 2 speed pull heater switch at NAPA. I don't remember the part number but it mounts and works the same as the original Kodiak. I didn't try it on mine but you could probably fit the kodiak knob with a little effort to keep that original look.
            JasonT.
            Jason
            "Clubs are for Chumps" Club president

Comment

• Terrys
              Overdrive
              • May 2007

Cole is actually Cole Hearse, but that switch is available from many (NAPA, as stated) and all the collector car resto places.

Comment

• 4flattires
                4th Gear
                • Aug 2007

Here is the link...

Cole Hersee

64 SIIa 109 all stock
                69 SIIa 88 all stock
                Old tractors
                New Harleys
                Old trucks

Comment

• Enigma
                  Low Range
                  • Oct 2006

My heater swich went toast this year and I replced it with a local auto parts source 3 speed switch. One thing I like about the new switch is that there is a bulb in the switch that from them various levels of illumination , tells the speed of the fan. Yes it is not like the original , but I feel is superior to the original.

Cheers John

Comment

• Erin
                    Low Range
                    • Oct 2006

Switch Replacement

I just replaced the switch for my Mark IV Kodiak (similar or identical to the Mark III). I think I tried too hard to match the original but here is what I did: I found an old Cole-Hersee switch with the ceramic resistor and gently opened the switch up to take out the shaft the knob attaches to since it did not work with the Kodiak knob. I then found a bad switch with a shaft the same shape as the Kodiak (they are really common) and cut it to size and cut new grooves in it to fit in the new switch. It worked! I now have two speeds for my fan and the strange burning smell from my resistor is almost gone. I guess it had about 40-50 years of dust on it to burn off. I'm sure there is an easier way to do this but I asked a few of the folks mentioned above and no one had one. So I pulled a McGuyver and made one work. Good Luck.

Comment

• charles1943
                      1st Gear
                      • Jan 2021

Correct switch

DARE BRITANNIA has that switch in stock. The CORRECT one, not a rehashed 1

Comment

• charles1943
                        1st Gear
                        • Jan 2021

Actually that's not quite true....lots of places have a SIMILAR switch, None have the exact switch. I have the correct switch. The original. NOS.

Comment

• WineCountryRover
                          Low Range
                          • Feb 2024

Can anyone say what the part number is for the Cole Hersee switch? I’d like to try and shop around and see I can find one

Comment

• WineCountryRover
                            Low Range
                            • Feb 2024

Thanks for the replies everyone. If anyone has a part number for theirs from NAPA, greatly appreciated.

Comment

Working...