Thread: Lugs Different Sizes?

Default Lugs Different Sizes?

1998 Discovery with some of the original lugs damaged from 10 years of service. Bought OEM replacements - 27MM head. Here's the problem: the originals on the vehicle 27MM socket is too small and 28MM too big. How do I get them off? Is the stainless portion a 'cap' of some kind?

Thanks,

Bob

The 'cap' is not supposed to be removeable (although some people try that, don't). Try a 1-1/16" lug wrench.

What happens is over time, the cap distorts, making it difficult to get the socket on and off. Also, the factory lug wrench isn't heavy enough; I've had lug nuts siezed to where I was using a cheater bar to turn the handle, and discovered that I was spiraling the lug-wrench itself; the lug nut and the wrench-socket were stationary, but the handle was twisting. I'd suggest getting a better tool, either a heavier lug wrench, or a socket w/ a breaker bar.
    -L

'72 SIII SW 88"
    '60 SII 88" RHD

The lug can rust under the cap and swell the cap. If you are junking the old ones anyway, just a 1 1/8" socket. I keep an 18" breaker bar with a 27mm impact socket in the truck instead of the useless factory one.
    The Goat, 2.8 Daihatsu Td, '73 coil conversion