Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Removing crankshaft pulley nut - IIA

Default Removing crankshaft pulley nut - IIA

Hi everyone-

I am going to need to replace my front crankshaft seal on my 69' IIA soon, as it is leaking pretty badly, and I have made a few desultory attempts to turn that big crankshaft pulley nut with an 18" bar but no luck. (I was a little afraid of losing my grip and damaging the radiator or something, so I may not have given it my all.) Does anyone have a good, safe and reliable technique for getting that nut to relinquish its several-decades-long hold? When I tried it before, it seemed like the whole drivetrain had some give in it and you couldn't really give a snappy pull on the wrench.

Also, in case it's necessary, where would I get a Speedi-Sleeve to line the pulley shaft with? And the diameter? My engine by the way is from a series II so it's probably a 7:1 compression, in case that matters.

Thanks everyone. This is the truck that made the Pan-American Highway trip from Alaska to Tierra del Fuego so I'm committed to keeping it going!

Tom

an impact wrench works great providing it has enough power,or a breaker bar and piece of pipe the problem you will have is holding the engine from turning while doing this (try inserting rope in a sparkplug hole and it will stop the engie from turning with no damage) then reverse the rotation when done and remove rope, the repair sleeve you can purchase from your local auto part jobber just mic the crank for measurement..

Thanks- I may have to just go get a length of pipe , the magic torque multiplier. 1001 uses.

Tom

If it were me, I'd use an impact wrench. If you don't have a compressor to run air tools, there are several brands of electric impact wrenches on the market. I have a dewalt that I love. I use it more than my air tools, and I can take it with me if I need it outside the garage.
    Travis
    '66 IIa 88

Quote Originally Posted by thixon
    If it were me, I'd use an impact wrench. If you don't have a compressor to run air tools, there are several brands of electric impact wrenches on the market. I have a dewalt that I love. I use it more than my air tools, and I can take it with me if I need it outside the garage.
    2nd that!

I have a Dewalt 3/4" drive electric impact. Just use a long extension, and either go through the bumper hole, or remove the bumper.
    61 II 109" Pickup (Restomod, 350 small block, TR4050)
    66 IIA 88" Station Wagon (sold)
    66 IIA 109" Pickup (Restomod, 5MGE, R380)
    67 IIA 109" NADA Wagon (sold)
    88, 2.5TD 110 RHD non-hicap pickup

-I used to know everything there was to know about Land Rovers; then I joined the RN Bulletin Board.

hi

brace your breaker bar on the correct frame rail or leaf spring and blip the starter. BTDT works every time never damaged anything. just make sure you have it all sorted which way it is going to swing.

once you try it you will never go back.

-dave

Quote Originally Posted by tmckeon88
    Hi everyone-

I am going to need to replace my front crankshaft seal on my 69' IIA soon, as it is leaking pretty badly, and I have made a few desultory attempts to turn that big crankshaft pulley nut with an 18" bar but no luck. (I was a little afraid of losing my grip and damaging the radiator or something, so I may not have given it my all.) Does anyone have a good, safe and reliable technique for getting that nut to relinquish its several-decades-long hold? When I tried it before, it seemed like the whole drivetrain had some give in it and you couldn't really give a snappy pull on the wrench.

Also, in case it's necessary, where would I get a Speedi-Sleeve to line the pulley shaft with? And the diameter? My engine by the way is from a series II so it's probably a 7:1 compression, in case that matters.

Thanks everyone. This is the truck that made the Pan-American Highway trip from Alaska to Tierra del Fuego so I'm committed to keeping it going!

Tom
    A Land Rover would never turn up to collect an Oscar. It'd be far too busy doing something important, somewhere, for someone."

Dave,

No offense, but isnt that a bit dangerous?
    Travis
    '66 IIa 88

Yeah, I was wondering that myself! By the way, the pulley nut is threaded normally, isn't it? Lefty-loosey?

Tom

When I replaced my front main that is how I finally broke the nut lose, but I used a strap to ensure the wrench did not become an airborne projectile!
    Alex Jones
    Atmore, Al
    '64 SIIA 88
    '79 MB 240D daily driver
    '80 MB 240D donor
    '59 MB 190D "rutso-ration in progress"
    '00 Chevy Silverado 4x4 "rescue vehicle"
    "Glad I ain't haze grey and underway!"

hey,

no offense taken at all, happy to discuss that aspect of it because I want to encourage folks to try it and see how well it really works.

I've done it so many times I can't count. the socket and bar just fall off immediately. then you find that the nut (actually more like a bolt) is loose or all the way out. it really is sweet.

make sure you undo the locking tab first, and that the bar is resting on something solid. that way is doesn't flail around.

btw I am using a 3/4" drive t-bar and a rebular 12 point socket in the appropriate size. (1 5/16" I *think*)

also nodanger to life limb etc as it can be done with the bonnet closed and of course you are in the car.

so, no I don't think it is dangerous if done using some basic common sense as with any mechanical operation on any vehicle.

rgrds
    dave

Quote Originally Posted by thixon
    Dave,

No offense, but isnt that a bit dangerous?
    A Land Rover would never turn up to collect an Oscar. It'd be far too busy doing something important, somewhere, for someone."