Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1 ton 109 ad pic

Default 1 ton 109 ad pic

Quote Originally Posted by O'Brien
    yorker do you have any other images like the one you posted, because that thing is awesome!

were there differences in the suspension set up of the 1tons? i really like the look of that one
    The suspension is different- the chassis is like the ex army 109 series IIs in that the suspension mounts are lower- thus offering more lift. The springs are higher weight spec too of course- I think TAW has the specs broken down on her page.

I can't remember the part#s or specs for the rims for the 9.00 16 tires.

Overall I think those 1 tons are my favorite LR.

some good info & modern pics here from Daniel Warden:
    http://forum.landrovernet.com/showthread.php?t=48668

also see http://www.geocities.com/onetonlandrover/index.html

1965 SIIa 88",1975 Ex-MOD 109/Ambulance, 1989 RRC, blah, blah, blah...

Land Rover UK Forums

man, so cruising through that page you linked to, doesn't seem that there were any 5 doors built, unless i missed it. that's kinda a shame!

makes me wonder what it would take to copy that setup. seems like some pretty major mods to a frame right?
    Matt
    '66 88 GM powered
    '89 SWB RRC (sold)
    '67 109 NADA 6cyl. Station Wagon #2 (sold)

I don't think there were any major frame changes compared to say a military 109.

I believe all you are really talking about are the wide wheels and the suspension upgrades. Not too much really.

Although, I could be way off on this.

man, so cruising through that page you linked to, doesn't seem that there were any 5 doors built, unless i missed it. that's kinda a shame!

makes me wonder what it would take to copy that setup. seems like some pretty major mods to a frame right?
    You could get by with a military 109 frame. SOMEWHERE I remember a thread about making a 109 1 ton clone.

The 9/00 16s are ~35-36 inches tall so they tendto put some real stress on the rover front axle- so you'd also need to upgrade that to a salisbury, env, or at least the 24 spline upgrade that Jim Young sells (www.seriestrek.com)

Other than that I think it is reasonably easy, you wouldn't have the special transfer case but that shouldn't stop you IMHO.

I was going to build an American version- a 5 door that was partly based on 109 1 ton specs. 9.00 16s etc. I never found a 5 door body to use though so my plans have shifted a bit. I was going to use a LT95 from an early Range Rover Classic as the tranny/transfer case and probably a 5.0 Ford V8 if not a 3.5l Rover v8...

If you just wanted to use the basic suspension you could use a 109 military chassis- add or delete the outriggers as needed to convert it to a 5 door chassis and go from there.

Land Rover UK Forums

http://www.geocities.com/onetonlandrover/tech1.html

that link shows some of the differences from a regular 109 chassis.

Richards might make replacement 109 1 ton chassis. You could probably get them to make you one at any rate.

You need to notch the crossmember for the front drive shaft:

The above is a pic of a new Richard's Chassis with that mod as done by them.
    Last edited by yorker; 01-11-2008 at 03:03 PM.

Land Rover UK Forums

well i've already got my five door, so i guess it's just a matter of switching axles and upgrading the tranny to handle the strain. i'm already stressing the damned thing out with a 4.1L chevy six anway! so i guess add that to my list of things to consider for the future, along with all-around discs and then a hover craft conversion. (just kidding about the hover craft, unless you can show me how to do that too haa!)
    Matt
    '66 88 GM powered
    '89 SWB RRC (sold)
    '67 109 NADA 6cyl. Station Wagon #2 (sold)

well i've already got my five door, so i guess it's just a matter of switching axles and upgrading the tranny to handle the strain. i'm already stressing the damned thing out with a 4.1L chevy six anway! so i guess add that to my list of things to consider for the future, along with all-around discs and then a hover craft conversion. (just kidding about the hover craft, unless you can show me how to do that too haa!)
    How do you like the 4.1 six? Those 4l+- Sixes are very popular in South Africa.

The series tranny is a bit stronger than it really gets credit for IMHO.

I guess you could swap out the Series tranny for a 4 speed GM tranny adaptred to the series box- that would be a nice way to go. SO far I've not seen a SM420 used but I have seen one SM465 mated to a series transfer case. Ike Goss also makes the NP435 to series T case Adapter and the NP435 could be used with a GM engine.

Depending what your differential ratio is you might not need a OD for road speeds if you ran 9.00 16s.

Land Rover UK Forums

Just remember that heavy duty springs don't compress unless there's a heavy load in the bed of the Rover. So the 1-ton has some disadvantages off road if it is lightly loaded; there's not enough weight over the rear end to help with articulation.

Jeff
    Jeff Aronson
    Vinalhaven, ME 04863
    '66 Series II-A SW 88"
    '66 Series II-A HT 88"
    '80 Triumph TR-7 Spider
    '80 Triumph Spitfire
    '66 Corvair Monza Coupe
    http://www.landroverwriter.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Aronson
    Just remember that heavy duty springs don't compress unless there's a heavy load in the bed of the Rover. So the 1-ton has some disadvantages off road if it is lightly loaded; there's not enough weight over the rear end to help with articulation.

Jeff
    True but then again on the other hand their offroad capacity WITH a load will exceed that of a regular 109. So like everything else there are trade offs depending how you use your vehicle. You could certainly build a 1 ton-esque suspension without the 1 ton springs too if you didn't need that capacity. I suppose you could build one with a standard chassis and springs and a SOA suspension- that would preserve the ride and articulation but give you additional clearance needed for the 36" dia. tires.

I think I'd also include ARBs with the creation of a vehicle like this- that would help offset losses in traction due to any lack of articulation.
    Last edited by yorker; 01-11-2008 at 04:33 PM.

Land Rover UK Forums

Uber low transfer case too! 3.27:1 but a fairly highway useless 1.53:1 Hi range.
    Last edited by KevinNY; 01-11-2008 at 09:08 PM.
    The Goat, 2.8 Daihatsu Td, '73 coil conversion