Thread: Reliability question.

Default Reliability question.

I was considering a P38 for my wife.Something clean,10yrs old or so with around 100K.Most tell me to avoid this model.Whats are the FACTS,from real owners???Thanks

I'm leaning towards NOT getting one if nobody wants to comment on the track record.

Had the crickets chirpping sensation, eh?

Have to admit, I like the P38, from an asthetics perspective. Attractive, capable, etc.

But, to be honest, I've had a few Rovers, and been around a LOT more, worked on quite a few that weren't mine, and these, by far, have some of the worst reliability issues of all of the Rovers ever made. Almost all electrical (or air-suspension related, but those can be fixed easily compared to the electric issues).

Now, it's possible you could end up w/ a Wednesday vehicle, and never have a problem. But get a Monday/Friday one, and you'll rue the day you heard of the green oval.....

FWIW....
    -L

'72 SIII SW 88"
    '60 SII 88" RHD

Besides that fact that i'm selling mine, it has been completely reliable.
    I wasn't so sure going in, when i bought mine in May 2004, but it has been rock solid since then. Bought it at 30k, and now it has 90k. To assuage my fears i purchased a warranty, and broke even. The warranty cost me about 2500 and i ended up charging about 2500 to the warranty, mainly from radio replacement, O-ring replacement for AC, and what was about it.
    Only reason i'm selling is to get another dubious vehicle. the Defender 90.

Default Love Mine

I bought my '97 in 2000 with 35k on it, now it has 180K and going strong. The only issues I have had ,other than normal maintenance, were the suspension, the AC compressor. and the security system. The suspension was a quick fix by putting on springs. The AC compressor I have not replaced yet (anyone got a spare?). The worst was the security system. My first mechanic was not very knowledgeable on what could be done with his software. I was left stranded and locked out in Orlando, FL last year and called the dealership for help. The service manager recommended me to an off-site mechanic who was able to repair the system and disable the module causing the problem in about 10 minutes.

I love my P-38 and am buying another one for my wife. I do recommend buying one from 1997 or 1996. Ford bought Rover in late 1997 with some problem of quality during the change over.
    Rover is an Attitude! Offical Worldwide Jeep Recovery Vehicle!

Radradical, BMW bought rover in 1994 and sold to Ford in 2000.
    Between MY96 and MY99 (model year) the range rover had a GEMs engine management system. BMW introduced the Bosch engine management system from mid MY99 to end of P38A cycle in MY02. It was the end of the Chevy 4.6l engine. Ford put in the BMW engine for the new Rover in MY03 (this was a BMW developed rover) and Ford eventually replaced the engine with a Jag engine circa MY07 (Jaguar is part of PAG and thus would be cheaper for Ford to use Jag than continue to pay royalty to BMW).

AFAIK, P38A rovers are mainly differentiated by GEMS vs Bosch. Bosch would be generally considered superior, but if radradical has little issues with a GEMS system, then you can take it that each car should be looked at separately, Pre Purchase Inspection done, and perhaps british electronics will prove to be reliable. With mine, a MY 01 with Bosch, I have had nary a problem.
    Check on this site or rangerovers.net and search the forums on the differences. GEMS as older vehicles will be cheaper, and perhaps as radradical has found, a better buy. I imagine one can get a MY96 or MY97 for $4-$8k. MY 99 on with Bosch will be $8k+.
    You get what you pay for unless you get lucky.
    Best of luck,
    Karl.

thumb-up 2000MY P38

Been Driving mine for a year now, buy the newest and best you can find, even if you pay more than average it will be worth it. mine has every service signed for in the book.
    I have put 30K on it, replaced a couple of headlight bulbs, my mass air sensor, my air filter, sounds like the idler pulley is on its way out.....but over all simple fixes and not unheard of given the age and mileage.
    No regrets here, way nicer car than my D1!!!!