Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Importing a 1993 Non-NAS LR 110

Default Importing a 1993 Non-NAS LR 110

All,

I am currently a U.S. Diplomat assigned to the American Embassy in Accra, Ghana. I own a 1993 non-nas Rover 110. Would anyone here happen to know if it would be at all possible for me to import it into the U.S. when I return to the U.S. in 2009? Thanks, Bo.

If it meets the criteria "substantially the same" you stand a real good chance, since the '93 is on the listas being 'importable'
    The bad news is, a diesel and a V8 aren't quite the 'same'.

email me at jimcheney(at)hotmail.com and I'll lay it out for you. I'm at the embassy in Moscow and I've done this before.

Have fun with that one,

I was going to do the same when i was at the embassy in Kampala, Uganda.

Went with a SIII instead. Eaiser and WAY cheaper.
    First but gone: 91 3 door Disco "White Rhino"
    77 Series III 88 ex MoD "Shongololo"
    Gone and I miss her: 97 D1 5 speed
    04 DII
    08 D3 (LR3)

It has to have originally been built as a lhd (can't be a conversion). It has to be imported by a licensed/bonded importer (you can't do it yourself) and must be brought up to US specifications for both DOT and EPA- ie full exterior cage etc. Only 1993 models will even be considered. The truck would have to be a 3.9 V8 (only allowable engine). That's for those of us not in diplomatic service- you may get a different "special dispensation" I wouldn't know about that. JmC can give you the low down on that.

No dispensation for military or diplomats - just wild rumor. I understand the diesel can be brought through, but that will take a motor in very good tune indeed. Expect to add a cage.

Oh, and it will cost minimum 10k before parts.

Do what i did, do a search for Independent Commercial Importers and ask them. Its going to be a huge pain in the butt.

If your there for a few more years you could sell it and buy a 25yr old 110 and bring it back with you, or a 90.

Unless you have a rich uncle, i wouldn't bother with trying to bring it back.

The only way you can bring something like that back is if you are a diplomat from another country assigned to the US, and then there are restrictions too. Foreign military can do the same if they are posted here.

What do you do over there?
    First but gone: 91 3 door Disco "White Rhino"
    77 Series III 88 ex MoD "Shongololo"
    Gone and I miss her: 97 D1 5 speed
    04 DII
    08 D3 (LR3)

Quote Originally Posted by msggunny
    Have fun with that one,

I was going to do the same when i was at the embassy in Kampala, Uganda.

Went with a SIII instead. Eaiser and WAY cheaper.
    Has everyone in this forum worked at or is currently working at an embassy?
    1971 Series IIa Hybrid: 2.5L MILSPEC 5-Main Bearing Engine|Turner Engineering Performance Head w/ oversized hardened steel valves & phase shift/increased lift cam|LT77 Tranny/LT230 Transfer Case|11mm Ignition Wires/Super Coil|Jacobs Ignition/Petronix Ignitor|D90 Axles|Galvy Frame|Old Man Emu Coils|Cust Rear/Side Fuel Tanks|Cust Drive Shafts|

nope but I have imported a couple of 110's and know what can and can't be done...

Default importing a Defender

Anyone care to venture an explanation for the D130 crew cab that just sold on ebay...other than a SN switch or similar ruse? It was a German
    or Swiss market model, LHD, with CA plates, and clearly not a parts bin Frankenrover. Only deviation was a GM 6.2 diesel.