Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tub Floor and Supports

Default Tub Floor and Supports

I'm going to be getting a new rear tub floor and supports built. Can someone tell me the best gauge of alluminum and what size tubing works best.
    Jim

The original floor was about an 18ga. material, but if it were me, I'd go to something heavier, like maybe 14ga.

The supports (hat channels) weren't tubes, Just a U shaped piece with ears. Go to a sheet metal shop and see if they can do them in a heavy galvanized material on their brake, maybe 10ga. or so.

I tried using some dashes, and forward, backslashes, and it looked pretty good but when I posted it, it got parsed all yeeyaw

Aluminum and steel use a different gauge for thickness.

14 gauge in Aluminum is a little thinner than 14 guage steel. You may want to go as heavy as 12 guage. I'm going to be putting a new floor in a 109 tub soon and was looking into the same thing.

I wouldn't get to carried away with making new tub supports. There are enough of them around. Find a good set and get them galvanized.

Ive got an 88" tub I am going to rebuild and I used to have a metal road sign that actually was a perfect fit for the bed- don't laugh! Beautiful thick aluminum and somehow it was the exact width and nearly the correct length- just needed some cut off. I think I got it at a scrap yard for $5. Someone stole it though so now I am looking at other options. I thought about diamond plate- since the floor gets slippery when wet and muddy. Another thing I have been thinking about is getting one of those thick rubber mats like they have for dairy barns now- cut it to size exactly and put that over the new floor to provide some traction/noise insulation.
    1965 SIIa 88",1975 Ex-MOD 109/Ambulance, 1989 RRC, blah, blah, blah...

Land Rover UK Forums

For a rear matt I used some of those anti slip tiles from the auto shop. About 1/2 with a stanley knife and it was done. Cheap and really easy. It works well although a heavier rubber would provide more noise insulation.

Cheers
    Gregor

Quote Originally Posted by Mercedesrover
    Aluminum and steel use a different gauge for thickness.

14 gauge in Aluminum is a little thinner than 14 guage steel. You may want to go as heavy as 12 guage. I'm going to be putting a new floor in a 109 tub soon and was looking into the same thing.

I wouldn't get to carried away with making new tub supports. There are enough of them around. Find a good set and get them galvanized.
    I think he is speaking about the aluminum ribs attched to the aluminum floor and not the metal braces that go between the tub and the truck frame.

Yes I am talking about the 3 ribs that run front to back under the tub floor. I have a complete set of supports that run side to side that are galvanized and will be painted with POR-15 on the side that hits up against the bottom of the tub floor.
    Jim

18 wheeler Truck mud flaps work well as a rear matt. Palmer spring in Portland used to have them. They are very plain, cheap and you can cut them with a hacksaw to whatever size you need.

Brent
    1958 107 SW - Sold to a better home
    1965 109 SW - nearly running well
    1966 88 SW - running but needing attention
    1969 109 P-UP

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...2&l=64cfe23aa2

Tractor Supply Co. has 3/4" thick horse stall mats - really heavy.Usually sitting out front of the store in a big pile. Cuts well with a jigsaw, I fitted one in the bed of mine
    Neil Hanekom
    '73 LHD 88
    '75 FFR 109 exMOD Build Photo's
    '99 D1

Quote Originally Posted by scatterling
    Tractor Supply Co. has 3/4" thick horse stall mats - really heavy.Usually sitting out front of the store in a big pile. Cuts well with a jigsaw, I fitted one in the bed of mine
    That is exactly what I want to use! How do you like it?
    1965 SIIa 88",1975 Ex-MOD 109/Ambulance, 1989 RRC, blah, blah, blah...

Land Rover UK Forums